Peter Mohan and haunted pools

Enter this forum only if you dare.
Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Re: Peter Mohan and haunted pools

Post by Carp Artist »

Beechmere is very haunted, I've fished it many a time, I've had the scenario of strange mists in photo's, and as for the pitch just around from the priest hole very sinister indeed? I've always felt like I have someone watching me in that pitch. I could tell more but not on this open forum.PM me for more info if you wish. See my story A ghost from the past. in haunted swims.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Hello Beechmere Lake

Well....if you were to delete the comment I made in respect of the "England batting collapse"...the rest of the Lacock experience is absolutely accurate...it was truly a terifying experience and one that I recall with horror to this day and I have night fished in many places over forty years. There are not many occasions in a non work environment that I can say I have been truly in fear of my life but that particular fishing event at Lacock after many many years is one where I know that a malevolence presence stalked me through the woods and Abbey Fields with the intent of taking my sanity if not my life......

However...to happier occasions...yes I recall Reybridge...terrific fast runs through the weed and gravel then the deeper pools for some cracking chub.....as for Kellaways...I was there only last week again...perch and chub.....delightful...in fact it was the late 70's I caught my first barbel at Kellayways...4 lbs 5 ozs I believe...they had started the year or so before to grow and spread through the Bristol Avon. They are still there but otters in particular....have impacted on the large barbel and chub of a few years ago. In respect of Reybridge...you might recall there was a syndicate ran the fishing above Reybridge thru Lackham College...difficult to gain entry....within the last several year the Agricultural College there has introduced otters to the river so I am told and hence the previously expensive Barbel syndicate there is now more open...unsurprisingly you might say ! The Chippenham weir swim is still there...a cracking little swim but of course quite popular......there are however still 30 lb plus pike to be had throughout the stretch.....so...al in all...things change and things stay the same...the Lacock strecth when you and I fished it was incredible....few swims..a delicate approach....gently part the reeds to fish...not many folk around...some big fish....the as word got out and popularty increased you started to see through the late 80's/90's people camping out in the swims there...the fishing declined through the 00's but personally I am hopeful that it will swing back again....rivers are still terrific and I think that within a few years there will be scope again to fish there as it was before.......just let nature reach an accomodation with itself.......I may say that I have spent quite a lot of effort fishing for River Carp on the Avon throughout the area over the years and some cracking carp there are too.....so....another yea or three and Lacocok will call again.....but that malevolent evil from that night will I fear haunt me again.........time...location...patience......

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Thanks for taking the time to reply, such a shame about the otters, they are worse than the plague.
I remember Lackham College back in the 70's and 80's, could never get near the place, a few hundred yards past Mortimers wood was about it for us.
Be interested to see if you go back to the Abbey fields for another date with your destiny :Hahaha:
Look up COUNTESS OF SALISBURY you may find what was looking for you.
Interesting you say about the Carp in the river, when I fished there in the Summer holidays we used to make up honey paste and head for peckingill ponds, kind of between Kellaways and the piggeries, maybe you dont know them but apart from the canal and Rowde carp ponds there wasn't really anywhere else to fish for them, we had limited success in those ponds but did manage a few around the 8lb mark.
Never forget the Chub fishing though just before the rapids in the free stretch just after the weir pool, good old days probably not like it now.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Carp Artist wrote:Beechmere is very haunted, I've fished it many a time, I've had the scenario of strange mists in photo's, and as for the pitch just around from the priest hole very sinister indeed? I've always felt like I have someone watching me in that pitch. I could tell more but not on this open forum.PM me for more info if you wish. See my story A ghost from the past. in haunted swims.
Phil, thanks for your time and great emails, good to know its not all in the imagination. :Hahaha:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”