What was your first fishing book?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Fred Bonney
Perch

Re: What was your first fishing book?

Post by Fred Bonney »

My first was The Angler's Handbook 1/-NET published by SPRATT'S

"Especially written forSPRATT'S by a well-known angling expert"

The one I have now is from 1958, my original fell apart with use.
I thought my edition said who the "expert" was, this one doesn't and the mists of time have blurred my memory!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Merlot wrote:I started fishing between 3 & 4, the first book I recall taking an interest in, or I was directed to, was the Observers book of Freshwater fish, vainly trying to identify the fish. We still have the book in our library, a 1940`s addition if I remember correctly.....
Likewise I just found it on the bookshelf and memories came flooding back. Although not a fishing book I think we had it at home and when I became interested in fishing I used to thumb through the pages and gaze at the pictures. I remember the pike in particular.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

From memory the cover, which was edged in green, had two fish. I think it was something like a bream and roach, I cannot remember. But I do remember my father quizzing me, as to what fish he was describing, the only problem I recall, was a majority of the illustrations and photos were in black and white.....

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Merlot wrote:From memory the cover, which was edged in green, had two fish. I think it was something like a bream and roach, I cannot remember. But I do remember my father quizzing me, as to what fish he was describing, the only problem I recall, was a majority of the illustrations and photos were in black and white.....
Mine is from 1964 with colour plates and has no dust jacket.
Lots of odd freshwater fish - pollan and the shads as well as bass, mullet and flounder.

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

The 40`s copy also included the odd species from the British Isles, that has become extinct, the Burbot for one.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Merlot wrote:The 40`s copy also included the odd species from the British Isles, that has become extinct, the Burbot for one.
Yes the burbot and sturgeon also powan, vendace, gwyniad, houting :Confused:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Olly wrote:Oh dear! I have that as well with my Scout's Fishing badge and some certificates for several roach.

My Father worked at Shell outside Waterloo Station -- but I never got that lovely book - I wonder why?

Hello Olly, my Dad worked for a firm of marine loss adjusters called W H Elmslie in the Shell building. He started there when he was fourteen I believe, just after the 2nd WW, and then save for national service was there until the1980's. They used to adjust the Shell oil tanker claims. He would tell me stories of Douglas Barder driving his cars in (he worked there, I assume as some kind of executive) a Bentley I recall but could be wrong, changing gear using his walking stick on the clutch. It's been a long time so my memory may not be 100% on some of that.

I wonder if our fathers knew each other!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

The piece on fishing by BB in the Boy's Country Book edited by John Moore. Followed by Mr crabtree!!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

My first fishing book ??? After 53 years ??? I sometimes have trouble remembering to do my flies up before leaving the house these days !!!

However, it was dusty, and smelled of that lovely 'old book' aroma, and probably dated from the 1930's., and I devoured it during wet lunchtimes in the school library instead of getting wet playing football in the yard, and my classmates thought I was weird for doing so (nothing new there then !!!).
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I do wonder Mr T - he was something to do with accounts & joined after WW2. He was based at the Shell House just beside Waterloo Station and was a member of Lensbury Club in Teddington adjoining the TV Studios (Benny Hill programmes were made in the grounds!). I used to fish Teddington Weir, above & below for barbel & bream.

Only 53 years ago you started - 60 years for me!

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”