Intriguing

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Badger
Grayling

Intriguing

Post by Badger »

I got a little excited when I saw this on the map view and of course immediately wondered what would be in the lake next to the river which had clearly belonged to the Augustine priory. The satellite photo is less encouraging. Do you think it has been filled in or is that just very dense rushes and weed growth ?

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Intriguing

Post by Santiago »

Hard to tell! I think you'd need to visit to be sure. And if that's all weed!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Old Nell

Post by Old Nell »

Ooooh. How can you not investigate? Monasterial wildies perhaps? Thats intriguing enough to get me back to a stillwater.
Regards Mark

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I looks like a species of 'Juncus' Rush - which grow in wet places. The pond seems to have all gone - except in winter floods.

The stream that fed the pond appears on the left of the old pond.

Woking and District water - always loved fishing near the derelict monastery. Some great chub fishing.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

That little river near the ruins looks great, even if the pond is no longer good for fishing!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

What's wrong with a weedy pool? Cheshunt was very weedy when those big "wildies"/ferals/whatever were coming out between 1910 and 1920...not that I was alive then, you understand!?! :Happy: :Sun:
Even if the pond really dries up, it's possible that a few carp might survive in the mud? Who knows...?
It's worth a cast.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Cheshunt was filled with lilies and surrounded by huge Alders. Some of the replacement stock after the deadly 1960's freeze are still living in a gravel pit not too far away from where they were stocked.

The 'pond' at Woking is just a memory!

The river is nice with some big chub & barbel in it now. Come on in leaps & bounds the river in recent years.

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”