Help on Classic Abu Choice

The ABU Reels forum.
WoodBurnerMatt
Rudd

Help on Classic Abu Choice

Post by WoodBurnerMatt »

Good Evening All,

When I was a boy I had an Abu Cardinal 4x reel that I loved. I only sold it a few years ago for a pittance at a car boot sale before I discovered the light! It was virtually mint. I now would love to get a similar classic Cardinal to use but I am unsure as to which to go for, any to avoid etc. Any advice would be most welcome, or has anyone got anything for sale (ideally I would like a really nice one)?

Thanks in advance
Woodburnermatt

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: Help on Classic Abu Choice

Post by BeechmereLake »

I guess it depends on what rod you are going to use and for what species you are going to fish, for me the Cardinal 4X is a super reel and only last week ABU book editor Marco Malevasi sold one from Italy that looked as good as new for £41.00 on the bay of evil.
Im sure you are aware that most of the Cardinals from the 60's and 70's era all fetch good money with the exception of the odd reel, you may also remember the Cardinal 44 was better known as the reel that never wore out, I purchased one from gentleman at Redditch last year, he told me he used the 44 for bone fish and never had a problem with one, that's a statement right there and would be a great purchase, ofcourse the 4X being slightly faster maybe the reel to go back too, memories and all that :Happy:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Re: Help on Classic Abu Choice

Post by Tinca Tinca »

If I had to buy an other one I would be on the look out for a 44 or a 44x with green body.(Only because
my others are,too).An other one I love too is my 154 but this has not the same design of the usual
Cardinals...The 44 has a size that is most useable,the 33 is too small for Carp for example and the
66 too big for Tench.The 44 fits both...

Return to “ABU Reels”