Coarse Fisherman

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

Coarse Fisherman

Post by Wagtail »

Whilst having a rummage in the loft I turned up my collection of old Coarse Fisherman magazines. Many have the white with circular photo cover format, but these 3 predate even that style from June/July/August 1977.

I have copied two of the adverts for reference and will put them in the relevant sections of the forum, but meanwhile perhaps someone recognises this chap?

'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Coarse Fisherman

Post by Tengisgol »

That was a great magazine back then, I have some copies too in the loft and I must dig them out.

I suspect that this is the Dave Burr that I mentioned on a different post and our Dave came back as follows:

"And No, it ain't me and we are not related. The original Dave Burr won the Ist Division National on the King Sedgemoor Drain in 1963 or 64? with what was then a record catch. And Yes, I've been asked this question many times."
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

ExiledSoutherner
Gudgeon

Post by ExiledSoutherner »

A dealer in rugby tackling? An unusual occupation, if not a good try...... :)

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Ha! That old copy cat. Stole my name about twenty years before I was born the blaggard. :Hahaha:

I remember those early copies and I used to really enjoy the early John Wilson stuff where he fished for roach, tench and his annual zander trip. It was inspirational stuff. For many years Course Fisherman was a fantastic magazine and had some outstanding writers.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I assume the Banks and Burr tackle shop in Rugby is something to do with this chap.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Yes Mark, he's from Rugby.

AndyB
Dace

Post by AndyB »

I have had the pleasure of meeting both Mr Burr's and both are thoroughly nice gentlemen.

Dave Burr the Div 1 national winner I know quite well having lived in Rugby for 40 years and have been a frequent visitor to his shop. Dave is now retired and his son now runs the tackle shop.

Dave Burr as we all know from this forum, a noted West country angler/guide I met at the Fennels Priory Barbel weekend on the River Wye last October. He put me in a swim where even I was able to catch a Barbel.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

My apologies to Dave (and Dave) for the mix-up :oops:

The old CF was refreshingly free of 'product placement', had some interesting articles as well as true maverick contributors (Chris Binyon anyone?) and although it didn't always hit the mark it was still way better than most of what is available now. Oh, and there were usually more words than pictures!
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

No apology needed Wagtail, you are but one of many who have figured that such an unusual name can't possibly be repeated :Happy: I've fished with a mate called Richard Walker - imagine that :shocked: :Chuckle:

I loved Chris Binyon's articles, he seemed a right character and was definitely to everybody's taste. Then there was Terry Eustace, Neville Fickling, John Bailey, Jim Gibbinson, Dave Hall......... so many more that I can't think of off hand but it was a refreshing and inspirational read.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”