Abu garcià 704 advice please

The ABU Reels forum.
Robbi
Tench

Abu garcià 704 advice please

Post by Robbi »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-abu-g ... 2338114d24

I confess I know nothing about Abu closed face reels other than I always wanted one as a kid.

Leather like the look of this one, anyone got any experience of this model they'd care to share ?
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Re: Abu garcià 704 advice please

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Good evening ,Robbi,
yes I own one of this and have to say that it isnot a bad reel at all.If you are used to use one of the
500s Made in Sweden then you will find a few differences in quality,but they are not really dramatic.
The 704 is a relative new reel which is made to a modern standard with ball bearings and an other
drag system like the classics but still useable at all.But when I see the start price you get a classic
506m for less money.Spares are no big problem and you own a real legend of reel history.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I had one of these reels (704) and about 100 plus 500 series reels and I have to say would not give it the time of day, just my personal thoughts but you did ask. :Scared:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

A word of caution, the 704 had twp pick up pins which on the earlier models, rather than doubling its efficiency resulted in being very sluggish. People got around this by taking one pin out and the 704 was soon replaced by the 706 which had gone back to single pin operation.

Also worth pointing out that the 704, the 70s and the new 506Mk2 are built in China and the build quality is no where near as good as the original Swedish made 500 series

If you shop around you should be able to pick up a 501 or a 506 in good working order for around £40.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

the 704 is a poblem reel ,the early ones where poor quality build wise ,with often the sticky pin syndrome ,or pin liners that grooved ,and have a veriable oscillation ratio (ratio of spool movement to crank rotation) the problem is theres no way of really telling if you've got a early one or later one and even if brought from a shop new it could be old stock .its a tiwianeese import ,newer models are better quality and for the price 704 are expensive by comparison shop around you'll find a 706 or 506mk2 for a simular price new with bag and spare spools

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/abu-garcia-50 ... 23388bb248

personally i avoid all second generation reels (507 goldmax,704 ,1044) in preferance to either a 500 seeries or newer models
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

CafeRacer
Dace

Post by CafeRacer »

I have had several ABU closed face reels including a 704,706 and a 1044 and a few 501s and 506s.In terms of value and reliability I highly recommend a 1044.Quality Japanese built tank of a reel.
"Crazy,toys in the attic I am crazy,truly gone fishing."

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

The Garcia 505 is identical to the Svangsta reel just a different sticker, does the Garcia reel have the stainless steel line guide inside the red cowling?

The Svangsta reel needs a new top half of a pinion gear, they are made from Brass and its very easy to cross thread them and take the thread out without actually knowing you have done so, I have loads of them here if you need one, possible brand new one but definitely plenty of second hand ones, PM me your address and I will send you one.

Just on the Daiwa reels? I have two of the 1970's 120M closed face reels and to be honest I rate them better than the ABU in so many ways, great reels if you can find them near mint.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”