Who's rattling your cage/tent?

Enter this forum only if you dare.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Who's rattling your cage/tent?

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

You may not be prone to halucinations FB, but anyone can be spiked!!! :confused:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:You may not be prone to halucinations FB, but anyone can be spiked!!! :confused:
Too much Lea and Perrins again! That stuff has a lot to answer for! :hahaha:

Wandering Mark

Post by Wandering Mark »

(No offence FB!!)
None taken, SK - 'tis a well known fact that exorcists use Lea and Perrins.
The L&P factory in Worcester is haunted, has anyone heard the tale?

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

My fathers house is Grade Two Star listed and build pre 1570. I grew up in that house an certain events defy any rational explanation. One friend left very rapidly after one event… and it got to the point at night that I could only relax to sleep with the lights on. My father told me not to worry as the cats weren't bothered so whatever it was meant us no harm.

However, from two other houses…
What the rationalists can't seem to explain away very well is events such as: why two cats would both be alarmed at the same time by the same 'nothing'! Animals only react on instinct. Or why both would perk up and precisely follow, with their eyes, the same 'nothing' at it moved around a room, or why they might rub up and down in space as if being stroked by 'nothing', or why a rocking chair would suddenly start rocking in totally still air…

I also know of a C15th house that friends of mine have where the guest at a house party saw the same thing.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

I'm about as rational as anyone, and can usually find an explanation for things if I look into it enough (I imagine some of you will have gathered that already from my technical wafflings on here) but I have certainly experienced a few things that defy even the most far-fetched 'rational' explanation. Conversely, once you accept the possibility of supernatural events (which by literal translation means things that occur outside of the natural order - and if you have to resort to ever more imaginative interpretations of 'natural' to explain them they probably qualify as supernatural) the explanation seems less far-fetched, even if it remains unacceptable to those who refuse to remain truly open-minded.

When you consider that just three centuries ago things we now understand and accept (and that therefore occur within the natural order of events) would have been unimaginably inexplicable to the brightest brains of the time, we can see that knowledge and understanding is not a static state - some sort of finish line we reached some time ago where nothing thereafter remains both credible and inexplicable - then the possibility surely exists that, at some point in the future, we will be able to rationally explain those events.

If everything was supernatural to early man, knowledge has merely enabled parts of the world around us to be identified, rationalised and brought within the sphere of 'natural'. It's both arrogant and short-sighted to suppose we've explained it all.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

gloucesteroldspot wrote:I'm about as rational as anyone, and can usually find an explanation for things if I look into it enough (I imagine some of you will have gathered that already from my technical wafflings on here) but I have certainly experienced a few things that defy even the most far-fetched 'rational' explanation. Conversely, once you accept the possibility of supernatural events (which by literal translation means things that occur outside of the natural order - and if you have to resort to ever more imaginative interpretations of 'natural' to explain them they probably qualify as supernatural) the explanation seems less far-fetched, even if it remains unacceptable to those who refuse to remain truly open-minded.

When you consider that just three centuries ago things we now understand and accept (and that therefore occur within the natural order of events) would have been unimaginably inexplicable to the brightest brains of the time, we can see that knowledge and understanding is not a static state - some sort of finish line we reached some time ago where nothing thereafter remains both credible and inexplicable - then the possibility surely exists that, at some point in the future, we will be able to rationally explain those events.

If everything was supernatural to early man, knowledge has merely enabled parts of the world around us to be identified, rationalised and brought within the sphere of 'natural'. It's both arrogant and short-sighted to suppose we've explained it all.
Well said GOS from another rationalist.
At one time solar eclipses, earthquakes, Northern lights, will o' the wisps, even thunder and lightning were all considered 'supernatural' but once understood they merely fit into the natural order. I think that by definition there can be nothing supernatural because anything that exists and occurs must be natural. Just because we don't understand it doesn't make it 'supernatural'.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

TonyPrior

Post by TonyPrior »

During a spell of enforced telly-watching recently, I saw a programme in which some Big Bang boffins (Hawking et al) were discussing String Theory, Worm Holes and the nature of it all. It seems that there may be as many as 16 other 'dimensions' in the space/time 'thingie', that we're not naturally aware of. Apparently the CERN collider is going to make it all clear in time. Might it be possible that, very occasionally, under certain circumstances, people get a 'feeling' or some sort of dim awareness of these other dimensions?

Kingsmill Moore (A Man May Fish) said it very well, on night fishing for sea trout (apologies if this is old hat): "The value of night fishing is as a sedative to fretted nerves and a tired brain. A sedative, yet something more, a portal of escape from the instancy of the present. As the night deepens the river takes command. Its voice mounts, filling the valley, rising to the rim of the hills, no longer one voice but a hundred. Time and place are dissolving; the centuries have lost their meaning; timelessness is all. One foot is crossing the invisible frontier which bounds the land of the old gods. Then comes the whistle of an otter, the bark of a fox - and you are back in the world of sentiency. Almost you fear to turn lest, black upon the moonblanched sand, there should be the hoof marks of a goat." :shocked: :beg:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

TonyPrior wrote:During a spell of enforced telly-watching recently, I saw a programme in which some Big Bang boffins (Hawking et al) were discussing String Theory, Worm Holes and the nature of it all. It seems that there may be as many as 16 other 'dimensions' in the space/time 'thingie', that we're not naturally aware of. Apparently the CERN collider is going to make it all clear in time. Might it be possible that, very occasionally, under certain circumstances, people get a 'feeling' or some sort of dim awareness of these other dimensions?

Kingsmill Moore (A Man May Fish) said it very well, on night fishing for sea trout (apologies if this is old hat): "The value of night fishing is as a sedative to fretted nerves and a tired brain. A sedative, yet something more, a portal of escape from the instancy of the present. As the night deepens the river takes command. Its voice mounts, filling the valley, rising to the rim of the hills, no longer one voice but a hundred. Time and place are dissolving; the centuries have lost their meaning; timelessness is all. One foot is crossing the invisible frontier which bounds the land of the old gods. Then comes the whistle of an otter, the bark of a fox - and you are back in the world of sentiency. Almost you fear to turn lest, black upon the moonblanched sand, there should be the hoof marks of a goat." :shocked: :beg:
Physicists usually keep away from this due to a lack of evidence when it comes to communication between possible dimensions.
The current way of thinking is that the way we perceive time is not the way it is. The other dimensions all exist (although on an unimaginably small scale) as do all possible pasts and futures. Time is a little like walking across a field through long grass. if you look back you can see the line you have flattened in the grass but the alternative possible paths (an infinite variety) lie outside your chosen path, looking to the front (the future) you have a infinite amount of possible paths ahead of you. In terms of probability you are more likely to walk the possible paths closest to you but all possible future paths exist. The difference is that in a field of paths you can move freely back and forward and side to side but we are limited to linear movement in time. Yesterday and the events that occurred still exist (like the frames in a film) but we do not have access to them any more. If you sit in a chair in which another sat yesterday in a very real sense that person is sitting in the chair but they are sitting in it yesterday and that does exist. Physicists will happily go this far but are unwilling to go as far as to suggest that some form of communication could be passed from that person to you.....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Hmmm, - Beresford's mention of cats and the supernatural has got me thinking about a very odd thing that happened in my own home. One evening, as the light faded, I said out loud to my wife - for no good reason I could think of - "something's here" and, at that very moment, the sleeping cat awoke, its tail frizzed up and it fled from the room. Almost at the same instant, there was an electrical "crack" above our heads and both my wife and I saw a white "spark" shooting through the room, also above our heads... Wierd summer atmospherics, or what? And why did I say "something's here", because I'm sure I don't know...and why did the cat wake up and leg it....?

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Probably just a Skyrod nothing to worry about.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”