Why does this happen on my ABU66?

The ABU Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Why does this happen on my ABU66?

Post by Nobby »

You can get a Mitchell perfect:

http://s259.photobucket.com/user/nobby4 ... 7245574049

To be fair that line is on an ultra shallow match reel though. But you can tweak the line lay by playing with the washers inside the spool on the clicker cog.
The DAM 330N Finnessa comes with such washer to adjust the line-lay, but as it is set for cross-wind line-lay it won't do the same job as washers in a Mitchell.

The 304 and 314 reels that I know you favour have cross wind line lay too, achieved by the Gleason gears inside. When the 314 was launched they dropped those gears on the 304, yet I've never seen one that didn't crosswind, but they must be out there in their thousands.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

As you say the earlier 304 models did and the later ones didn't, but I`ve seen both reels in equal proportions, then again they are one of my favourites. I still prefer the earlier 304,/CAP models, they were the first..... But for everyday, I usually use the 314, the total of the preceding...

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Julian wrote: No, it is Reflo Power. I never knew when I started using it that it wasonly supposed to be for hook lengths.
I' ve used it as my mainline reel in various strengths up to 12lb for the last ten years - with no problems until on these two reels.
It works well as a floating line for surface fishing, but equally well as a sinking line for floa t fishing - in my experience.
Reflo Powerline works well as a reel line (it was probably originally intended as a lure fishing line). I've used it for years for trotting as its low diameter enables me to use a slightly stronger line and keep the better handling of a lower strength "normal" mono. The only thing I've found with it is that you need to change it every season without fail. It's a very supple line so I wouldn't think that its stiffness would contribute to Julian's problem.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

SeanM wrote:
Julian wrote: No, it is Reflo Power. I never knew when I started using it that it wasonly supposed to be for hook lengths.
I' ve used it as my mainline reel in various strengths up to 12lb for the last ten years - with no problems until on these two reels.
It works well as a floating line for surface fishing, but equally well as a sinking line for floa t fishing - in my experience.
Reflo Powerline works well as a reel line (it was probably originally intended as a lure fishing line). I've used it for years for trotting as its low diameter enables me to use a slightly stronger line and keep the better handling of a lower strength "normal" mono. The only thing I've found with it is that you need to change it every season without fail. It's a very supple line so I wouldn't think that its stiffness would contribute to Julian's problem.
I never realised until today that this line becomes very poor with time, as i regularly replace line on most of my spools. However today I lost two tench as the line seemed to break very easily and I realised the 5lb line I was using had not been changed for over two years. :Hide:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Now we are learning something Julian but at your expense I'm afraid, sad you lost both fish today.

I have to say even though in my 47 years of angling 30 plus of those years I have used nothing but Maxima Chameleon line and never had a problem with it, the stuff is far from high tech but it does what I need it to, have to say I do change my spools two or three times a year depending on how much fishing I do and how much UV light it gets, obviously it gets it pretty much all the time but sun light is a killer on line, add to the fact its also getting it from your local tackle shop from being on display under tube lighting the angler is up against it from the start.

Anyone tried fluorocarbon as a reel line instead of just a hook length? Its very dense compared to nylon and sinks so much better, wont take up water or be affected by UV light.
Last edited by BeechmereLake on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

BeechmereLake wrote:Now we are learning something Julian but at your expense I'm afraid, sad you lost both fish today.

I have to say even though in my 47 years of angling 30 plus of those years I have used nothing but Maxima Chameleon line and never had a problem with it, the stuff is far from high tech but it does what I need it to, have to say I do change my spools two or three times a year depending on how much fishing I do and how much UV light it gets, obviously it gets it pretty much all the time but sun light can be a killer on line.
Ah, but i did hook another nice tench that I did land ( on the other rod) - so not all bad news.

Part of the reason I ended up choosing Reflo Power is that it is the best line ( for me ) that i could find for surface fishing - which I do a great deal of in recent years.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Have to be honest I spent years looking for a good surface line and when I came across Stren when it first came out I was hooked, that was, until Drennan double strength came out, have caught using the Drennan fly leader too but a majority of all my surface caught fish came with using DS.

Good you got a fish out, not all bad :Thumb:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I do like that modern lines come in tins nowadays but I still change them regularly as losing a fish to a sudden and unexpected parting of your line is very, very frustrating..... isn't it Julian :doh: :oops:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

BeechmereLake,

I use Fox Illusion fluorocarbon as reel line for all of my carp fishing. I always stretch it before I start a session to get the coils out. It sinks like a brick and casts easily. I bought a couple of bulk spools of 6lb bs about 5 years ago and I am very happy with it.

Return to “ABU Reels”