how many turns to put 70yrds of 6LB line

The Speedia Reels forum.
JimmyR
Perch

how many turns to put 70yrds of 6LB line

Post by JimmyR »

Quick question, how many turns to put 70yrds of 6LB line on wide drum.
Thanks.
The brotherhood of the angle.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: how many turns to put 70yrds of 6LB line

Post by Beresford »

You could work it out reasonably easily and be broadly right since the line isn't going to build up enough depth on the spool as it increases. 70 yards is quite a lot for a pin though.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

It would be easier to buy a 100yard spool and take 30 yards off and put the rest on the reel.

Why 70yards?

Why not put on 10 turns and take it off and measure the lenght of said 10 turns and then calculate how many turns equals 70 yards!!!???
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Well, taking the Speedia WD as an example - without any kind of arbor the diameter of the hub is 2.5 inches which makes the circumference around 7.9 inches. (pi x diameter)

70yds = 2520 inches
2520/7.9 = 319 revolutions or thereabouts.

I always work in meters nowadays myself.

JimmyR
Perch

Post by JimmyR »

It was just quick because i had things that needed sorting before i go, almost out the door straight away as soon as checked back here. This old three strokes brain is no longer good for any math, no matter how easy it would be for another lol.
Thanks
The brotherhood of the angle.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Beresford wrote:70 yards is quite a lot for a pin though.
Margin fishing for marlin :Scared:
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

i use 70yds on all my pins ,and have done for 15years ,it allows for a little reserve when longtrotting or barbel fishing should a fish make a break for it at distance .and allows for bits you may cut off etc .I've had no ill effects ,I've not had any more bedding in problems than anyone else ,its not made my pins weigh any more .and its had no effect on casting distance

if fact it has helped ,as some swims I fish I could easily trot 70m or so ,certainly longer than the often quoted magic 50m ,most people swear by .actually if loaded right theres no reason why you shouldn't load 100m onto a modern centrepin .

jimmy .I personally have a board with nails in two rows set 1m apart ,and wind the line around the nails and across to the other row then back again until I've either wound off half the spool (most of my pins have braid on them that comes on 150m wheels ) so I wound off 70m /half onto the pin board ,then I know I have a equal amount on the wheel to load onto the pin (or c/f reel) .the line on the board is rewound onto the wheel or directly onto a reel.does the job .

before I had the line board I used a line/depth counter ,you attach too the rod and it counts off the metre's for you (I lost it) ,you might find one on e-bay.

this sort of thing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fishing-Line- ... 233wt_1111
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Grazy

Post by Grazy »

I did this recently with my Trudex, I measured one turn to be 9" and therefore 4 turns a yard so times 70 equalled 280 turns, got some funny looks counting out loud and concentrating very hard but my family are use to my slightly odd ways by now and just left me to it :shocked:

I was once told that 70 yards is the optimum length of line for loading on a pin for trotting after which the line can bed in and I can probably do around 40 yards long trotting before losing contact with the float so if it does go under after that it's proper hit and hold time!!

Return to “Speedia Reels”