Bitten by an eel

This forum is for discussing eels.
Aquaerial
Chub

Re: Bitten by an eel

Post by Aquaerial »

Haven't done it for years but we used to use sheep's wool for babbing...our eels are not that big in Norfolk so it was taken off the sheep first or more easily just gathered off barbed wire fencing.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Loop Erimder wrote:Got stung by a bee once
Me too..... 4 quid for a jar of honey..... :shocked: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

When I was quite young my brother was preparing some eels to eat. He pointed to one of the severed heads of the eels saying that there was a hook in it and I could have it if I could get it out. I put my finger down its mouth to feel for the hook and was shocked when the the eel head bit me. I was later to have the same experience with a flounder heads.

You get an idea of how resilient eels are when you cut their heads off, skin them and chop them into short sections and see the sections wriggle in the frying pan when being cooked.

I once prepared a thornback ray by cutting off the wings and skinning them. I put them into the fridge overnight and when washing them to cook the following night was amazed to see the wing muscles rippling.

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

I got bitten by a big 'un in New Zealand; I reached into the lake margins to pull out a branch and one grabbed my index finger. It must have been lurking and liked the look of my digits. It felt like a pair of pliers had a firm grip and I pulled the brute out and waggled it off-not without a bit of skin shredding either I add. About 7 pounds I guesstimated.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

The old timers used to say that the way to deal with an eel was to stun it first by hitting it close to the end of the tail which, according to them, is where the heart of the beast is. It would then stop struggling long enough for it to be dealt with.

I like my eel the Chinese way, cut into chunks, steamed, then sauced with hot oil in which you've fried garlic, ginger and a little fresh chili. You can add mashed black beans as well.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Blunderer
Bleak

Post by Blunderer »

Stathamender wrote:The old timers used to say that the way to deal with an eel was to stun it first by hitting it close to the end of the tail which, according to them, is where the heart of the beast is. It would then stop struggling long enough for it to be dealt with.

I like my eel the Chinese way, cut into chunks, steamed, then sauced with hot oil in which you've fried garlic, ginger and a little fresh chili. You can add mashed black beans as well.
Not sure how politically correct it is but eel cooked fresh in a quality Chinese is arguably my favourite foot in the world. Smoked eel is good too.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Not sure how politically correct it is
I've always assumed any eel served in restaurants is farmed eel. So, no different to most of the salmon, trout or carp you may be offered.

I have Spinal Tap going through my head at the moment 'Working on a fish farm...' See https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... NQNF6rKnDk
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

It would be one hell of a fish farm stretching from the Sargasso sea all the way here to the U.K. for anyone bringing them on from where they start life.

Sad to read some of the posts above on Britain's most endangered species of fish and by far the slowest growing.

Blunderer
Bleak

Post by Blunderer »

Stathamender wrote:
Not sure how politically correct it is
I've always assumed any eel served in restaurants is farmed eel. So, no different to most of the salmon, trout or carp you may be offered.

I have Spinal Tap going through my head at the moment 'Working on a fish farm...' See https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... NQNF6rKnDk
I think some are netted from the Irish lochs, particularly the ones which get smoked.

The Chinese and pie and mash markets, I think they may catch and grow on elvers, then sell them live. I may be wrong about this but I have seen big eels in tanks for sale in Chinatown...

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Phil Arnott wrote:When I was quite young my brother was preparing some eels to eat. He pointed to one of the severed heads of the eels saying that there was a hook in it and I could have it if I could get it out. I put my finger down its mouth to feel for the hook and was shocked when the the eel head bit me. I was later to have the same experience with a flounder heads.

You get an idea of how resilient eels are when you cut their heads off, skin them and chop them into short sections and see the sections wriggle in the frying pan when being cooked.

I once prepared a thornback ray by cutting off the wings and skinning them. I put them into the fridge overnight and when washing them to cook the following night was amazed to see the wing muscles rippling.
I used to catch those rays off Hemsby Holes in Norfolk although we used to call them Roker...have you heard that name before?
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Return to “Eel (Anguilla anguilla)”