Redmire first visit - some old pics

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
GregF
Crucian Carp

Re: Redmire first visit - some old pics

Post by GregF »

It’s a pleasure to share them with you gentlemen. It was going fishing with my dad yesterday that prompted me to go digging through my old pictures. I had a huge nostalgia hit looking at some of these photos and the Redmire ones really took me back.

Snape, you’re absolutely correct. It was either 1987 or 1988 when Clive Diedrich (of Richworth Baits) took over the running of the pool from the syndicate. He placed an advert in the Angling Times or Mail (can’t remember which), offering one-week tickets to fish Redmire for £100. I sent off my money immediately and waited…. and waited…. and waited… After several months and hearing nothing, I tried ‘phoning, but nobody answered. I tried numerous times but to no avail and I gave up in the end. Then, about a year after my application I decided to try again and finally got through to an answerphone. I was asked to leave my details, but it wasn’t Clive Diedrich, it was the police! The police phoned me back and apparently they were looking for Diedrich, but they didn’t give me too much detail about that. Sometime later they contacted me again and told me I should get in touch with the Carp Society, who were now apparently running the pool. I did this, and to cut a long story short, The Carp Society set up a scheme where they compensated those who'd lost their money by giving them two days fishing at Redmire. So I’d paid for a week and ended up with two days and it was well over a year since applying. Still, I was happy with that. I fished the lake with couple of others - a Carp Society official, Dennis Johncock and a chap called Maurice Steeles. Despite none of us catching any fish, it was a great trip and one I’ll never forget.

It wasn’t until fourteen years later that I spoke with Tim Paisley about it, and also with Bob Baker of Richworth, and learned the facts about the case. Strangely, I can’t remember any of the detail now other than Diedrich ended up losing his share in Richworth Baits over it.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Loop, just seen your pic of the tree - time marches on eh? Changed a bit myself since then too :Hahaha:
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Redmire has a sordid history in one way or another. Big fish certainly bring out the dark side of humanity, but I love hearing the tales.

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Dave Burr wrote: Big fish certainly bring out the dark side of humanity, but I love hearing the tales.
That probably goes for lots of things that are rare and desirable. An unfortunate aspect of human nature, I suppose. But many tales would lack a certain spice without it.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Superb photos Greg, thanks for taking the time to post them!! :Hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Lovely pictures Greg.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Great photographs and great memories too ! Well done for digging these out and sharing them. They capture the period really well and I enjoyed reading it. I can't quite now recall why I did not have a £ 100 in the mid 1980s.........I think it might have been linked to Covent Garden and winebars and being single.........

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Thanks SK, Mark and Barbulus. As I said, it’s a pleasure to share a few memories.

Covent Garden, Winebars, being single – Barbulus, it sounds like you were having a whale of a time & no wonder your recollection is a bit hazy. :Happy:

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Greg as the saying goes if you remeber the 80's you wern't there.

Would have loved to have fished the pool back then, but in the Barbulus vein I was going on Mod rallies, chashing women(note i didn't say catching, a bit like Tench fishing) following the Hammers and generally abusing my liver.

I'll now get my coat because some of out venerable member will probably comment on my re-hash of the 60's mantra.

Gaz

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Hi Gaz, did a fair bit of that myself (not mod rallies or football though - more playing gigs and going to festivals). And I can still even remember some of it, just. :Happy:

Return to “Redmire Pool”