Dennis Pye 700

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Dennis Pye 700

Post by Beresford »

Aquaerial wrote:The guy in the tackle shop told me about a neighbour of his that was selling a Wallis Wizard and it turns out to be the one on eBay. To cut a long story short the owner is a delightful precision engineer living in a magnificent period property and to my untrained eye the rod looked authentic in every detail but more importantly the balance and feel of that rod is something to behold. I cannot recall holding a cane rod that feels like that ever so my question is why with all these skills we have in this country can we not produce rods like that now?
But there are a small number of builders in this country who dedicate themselves to creating amazing cane rods.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Fisherman1947
Dace

Post by Fisherman1947 »

I have the two piece cost 150 about two years ago.
Old fishermen never die they only smell that way.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

With regard to the test curve of a S/U MKIV, i believe they are generally much more than some suggest, either that or they vary widely.
Before buying one earlier this year I asked on here what others thought the test curve was and the replies varied from 2lbs to 4 lbs. i know that there is a variation in the thickness of the cane used for S/U rods as I have compared mine to another members S/U on here.
I believe mine is at least 3 lbs and maybe more, on hooking and playing a very hard fighting 20 lb carp recently there was hardly any bend in the rod, whereas on my modern Scottie MKIV the rod hoops over when playing carp of less than 10 lb indicating to me a massive difference in their test curves. My S/U rod also feels much heavier than the MKIV.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”