The sealey range...

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
SeanM
Tench

Re: The sealey range...

Post by SeanM »

The Match Rod was indeed Spanish reed. I have an 11ft model. I'm just finishing a Supreme which is whole cane butt, whole cane/split cane middle and a twin taper split cane tip. Quite a powerful rod and reasonably light for a 12 footer.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Wet Feet Pete
Gudgeon

Post by Wet Feet Pete »

Nobby wrote:There was a Match Rod later on...might be Spanish reed though...???

I don't think Hardy would be able to claim the word General as 'theirs' though. Apart from the obscurely origined military title it's a word in.....well...general use :Hahaha:

:whistle:
:Hahaha: True, but it was only a "general" description. :Chuckle: Bruce & Walker stopped Daiwa using "hexagraph" hence my dodgy thinking. Thank you maggotdrowner, this Floatcaster may be the rod, now I will have to buy one and see. Or maybe a Match? Thank you seanM, any chance of a picture of a Match 11ft?
Then of course change the name on it myself (where is my John Bull kit). I will put my bank details and pin number on here and sit by the door waiting for the postie. :Beg:

May be cheaper to buy a Wilson Avon................ :Scared:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

By the way WetFeetPete that picture of the General shows that it is almost certainly Spanish reed. I suspect that it was renamed as the Match Rod. I'll see if I can dig out a picture of mine.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Wet Feet Pete
Gudgeon

Post by Wet Feet Pete »

SeanM wrote:By the way WetFeetPete that picture of the General shows that it is almost certainly Spanish reed. I suspect that it was renamed as the Match Rod. I'll see if I can dig out a picture of mine.

Thank you for that. It would be good to know what to look for now. I found the Hardy General advert stated "for floatfishing, legering & spinning", cannot be more 'general' than that. :holmes: I still think Sealey must have changed the name, if only in courtesy. Did they buy materials from Hardy back then? and were keeping a clean wicket.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”