Another "Rover"

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Peter Wilde
Rudd

Another "Rover"

Post by Peter Wilde »

I recently got one of these, too. Not in great condition but usable. I will put a few pictures below.

In Nobby's recent post, he said "first the bad news; it still has pretty rubbish cork shives for the handle...they look like they've been fed to the worms!" The handle on mine looks pretty bad too, not helped by some previous owner having part-varnished it. Fine cracks showing daylight are visible between the long cork sections. (I will probably try and fill these unless I opt for a complete rebuild of the handle).

Which brings me to a question - does anyone know if the handles on these rods were originally made this way, rather than with bored cork rings as per normal? Or am I looking at some sort of bodged refurb?

The rest of the rod looks as if it might be original. It came with the metal ferrule stoppers and with a slightly tatty bag with the Sealey label. It also has a notably small-diameter red-lined butt ring (see first picture). The tip ring however has a clear lining.

Any thoughts, gentlemen?

I was particularly keen to get hold of a Sealey cane rod, as the first proper (i.e. bought) rod I ever had came from them. Unfortunately it was a 7ft solid-glass "boys rod"; but I had a lot of fun with it and caught some decent fish, by the standards of those days!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Another "Rover"

Post by Dave Burr »

I think you'll find those rings are standard Pete, I'd check mine but I'm away from home for a couple of days. Certainly the clear tip ring is right.
Your intermediates are in need of a clean or replacing but you've got an excellent all rounder rod which I rate very highly.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

I have a later (two fishes logo) Nufloat that has similar long cork sections on the handle, so I guess it was how they were made
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'm not sure what to make of your handle....mine has 1 1/2 inch shives, but yours appears to be split semi-circular sections.

It's still better than mine!

Your butt ring looks more like the normal sort of size you'd expect...mine, original though it appears, looks too small.

At the time of the my first post I hadn't realised that the rings and inters are a different shade of green silk...the inters and decorative whips by the transfers being in a lighter shade. So far I haven't been able to duplicate either shade........ :fingertap:

Yours, like mine will be a pre 1958 rod when the Rover got a sliding locking reel clamp in anodised green according to adverts.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”