The Tarp Hat

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: The Tarp Hat

Post by Bob Brookes »

Not the biggest barbel in the world but the first one taken with my Tarp hat. Caught today together with a chunky chub and a tidy sized bream.
Good to be back in the river but it has been a difficult start to the new season.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

What a lovely fish Bob, wonderful colours, well done Sir :Hat:
Oh that hats rather nice too

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Nice one Mr Bob :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

After starting my season helping others to catch some nice fish I was finally able to think about catching something for myself yesterday and succeeded with a couple of double figure barbel whilst wearing my lucky Tarp hat of course.

I was rather grateful of it too after a couple of heavy rain falls decided to attack me.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Lovely picture Shaun, a daytime fish too!
I am catching the odd fish but all are smaller ones. They are still shoaled up in the shallows having just spawned. I am not prepared to chase them there, as it is a bit like seal clubbing! Those that are, are getting 15 fish in a session. No criticism, just my opinion. I have done that years ago but have since moved on.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Bob Brookes wrote:Lovely picture Shaun, a daytime fish too!
I am catching the odd fish but all are smaller ones. They are still shoaled up in the shallows having just spawned. I am not prepared to chase them there, as it is a bit like seal clubbing! Those that are, are getting 15 fish in a session. No criticism, just my opinion. I have done that years ago but have since moved on.
Cracking fish Shaun....
I`d second your comments Bob.....

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Bob Brookes wrote:Lovely picture Shaun, a daytime fish too!
The barbel I have caught this season have obviously spawned and are a little empty but in good shape really. They have certainly been very fit and tested the tackle well.

Yesterday with very little time to do much angling after Father's Day duties, I grabbed a rod, a tub of paste, my lucky Tarp hat and went for a chuck around exploring another stretch of river. My second fish was the largest chub I have seen landed on the Trent. Now I said largest, I didn't say heaviest and to be fair the rushed self takes don't really show the true size of this old Trent Dog. Suffice to say it was totally spawned out and in a flabby state, not that it didn't manage to put a fair fight up though. I had to weigh it as I really didn't have a clue how big it would go. The scales hovered a gnats whisker below 6 lb although I am sure it would have been over 7lb in prime winter condition. I rested it in the landing net for a while to make sure it was okay after its ordeal. set the camera up, took it out for a quick memory shot then released it in a shower of spray as it literally bolted from my grasp.

Suffice to say, despite owning many different hats and caps the old Tarp hat has been so lucky for me that I'm finding it difficult to reach for a different one.

I would like to meet this old chub again when it has bulked itself back out, not just for the lb's and oz's but just to see it looking so much better than it did yesterday. That is a stretch I will leave alone for a while now to let the fish recover from their obvious spawning.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Fine old warrior Shaun, well done, there is something about large chub. :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Paul D wrote:Fine old warrior Shaun, well done, there is something about large chub. :Hat:
Is that one or two statements Paul :tea:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I do like my Tarp hat!

With temperatures soaring over 40 c last week in Italy, it was certainly very much needed to offer a little protection. Never before have I had a hat that has been perfect in the summer and still great in the winter for protection from the elements.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”