Dons of Edmonton

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Harry H
Tench

Re: Dons of Edmonton

Post by Harry H »

Interesting statement in this listing sayes that Don used rod blanks from either Bob Southwell or Ted Oliver.Could mean you would get a very good rod at a cheap price(not necessarily this one) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLIVERS-of-KN ... 1571537965?_
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes Don's took cane from Southwell, then briefly ex-Southwell employee Mr. Howson and finally from Ted Oliver.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It always was a very strange shop to go into - bits hanging from the ceiling everywhere - but a real old fashioned shop with very knowledgeable staff!

The writing was on the wall I thought when they had to have a bouncer on the door vetting customers!

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

My mum still lives in Edmonton,When I go back to see her the car door is locked and the windows are shut,Not a nice place anymore :( :(

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Proper tackle shops,thought they would be around forever. :Cry:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Harry H wrote:Interesting statement in this listing sayes that Don used rod blanks from either Bob Southwell or Ted Oliver.Could mean you would get a very good rod at a cheap price(not necessarily this one) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLIVERS-of-KN ... 1571537965?_

I actually bought the rod in your ebay link, it is a really great example! I was a regular in Don's years ago and was aware that he bought in blanks from both Southwell and Oliver. At £190 it represents great value when compared to the price that named Oliver's and particularly Southwell rods would fetch. It also has the "Don's" connection with my younger days, which also makes it special. I believe the "Oliver's rod" sticker to be a later addition as it is not handwritten as the other script is.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Lea Dweller wrote:
Harry H wrote:Interesting statement in this listing sayes that Don used rod blanks from either Bob Southwell or Ted Oliver.Could mean you would get a very good rod at a cheap price(not necessarily this one) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLIVERS-of-KN ... 1571537965?_

I actually bought the rod in your ebay link, it is a really great example! I was a regular in Don's years ago and was aware that he bought in blanks from both Southwell and Oliver. At £190 it represents great value when compared to the price that named Oliver's and particularly Southwell rods would fetch. It also has the "Don's" connection with my younger days, which also makes it special. I believe the "Oliver's rod" sticker to be a later addition as it is not handwritten as the other script is.
Lovely looking rod,hope you enjoy using it. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ted Oliver tells me how he learned his craft from an ex-Southwell employee, Mr.Howson who had started out on his own, but it hadn't worked out and he was due to sail to Australia on the old £10 scheme. The first rods he made were given transfers for the shops that they were built for, Dons being one of them. Afterwards Ted supplied these companies himself, but when they stopped placing orders he started out as Oliver's of Knebworth. During the 'training' period he had been 'commuting' from Knebworth to Croydon in South London each day and afterwards he was schlepping around all the London tackle dealers selling his output.

It follows, I think, that a rod from Dons might be by Bob Southwell, Mr.Howson or Ted, but all will be made to the highest standards of split, not built, cane. It seems Southwell didn't have his legendary 'hot node press' in these days as Ted knew nothing of it, never saw it and pressed heated nodes in a vice as Mr.Howson had taught him to do.

The node press does appear to have existed later though as Clive Young of Youngs of Harrow wrote to Paul Cook that he had bought it, along with a 'cane straightener' when Southwell closed up, the letter being written shortly before Clive passed away.

Southwell had learned his craft from Clive's father, Jim Young who was related, brother in law possibly, to Jim Bruce down the road in Northfields. Jim Young hadn't thought Mark IV rods would catch on and had left his little workshop the original small size...so small he couldn't plane five foot rod sections. Maybe Youngs would have made Richard Walker's famous rod otherwise? As it was Jim Bruce did...and allegedly sold 15,000 of them too! So successful that he asked Bob Southwell to build cane for them exclusively, but Bob declined the offer not wanting to "put all his eggs in one basket", Ted tells me.

Just to complete the circle...Ted had worked part-time alongside Clive under Jim Young too, before his parents moved to the then 'new town' of Knebworth.

Ted, our Ted, that is...I think you are right about the 'Oliver's rods' transfer on your rod...it doesn't look like anything Ted used and Oliver's Rods is the trade name of Peter Johnson, who bought Ted Oliver's business when the former retired. Maybe it was restored by Peter at some time?

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

You may well be right about the restoration Nobby, the top section has been "turned" by someone. Apart from that, the Olivers transfer has I believe been added, but the cane is superb, springy and steely. I flexed the rod hard before purchasing and it returns like new so I am happy with my purchase. I am convinced that the writing on the rod is original, as I have seen several of Don's of Edmonton rods before and it is authentic. Who turned the top section I am not sure of, but the transfer was probably added at the same time.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I had an email today chaps from a non member, this is what Margaret sent me.

I am not a member or a fishing person. I read the thread 'Don's of Edmonton' and I would add: Donald Neish was my cousin on my mother's side.
He died this year, 2016. For the last year or so he was in a home in Dorking, where his niece was living. He was very happy there, but he had MND (Motor Neurone Disease). He must have been about 80. I didn't know him in person.

Regards

Margaret
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”