Chapman 500 Gift!!!

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Mick
Chub

Chapman 500 Gift!!!

Post by Mick »

Good morning Gentlemen. A friend of mine rang me yesterday to say that he has a rod sitting in his garage that I may be interested in and 15 minutes later he arrived with a shabby rod bag. I undid said bag and inside was a 500 in good nick! When I asked him how much he replied that he was never going to use it, so would I like it! I was completely dumbfounded. The rod is straight as a dye, clean as a whistle and at some stage has been refurbished to a fairly good standard. The butt ring is a replacement unlined 14mm chrome hardlon with low bridge rings throughout. The tip ring is original, presumably because the restorer couldn't get it off. I have posted some pics and I hope they come out ok as I have never done it before. I am a bit concerned that the top section may need the extra ring (or two) and would appreciate any comments and help that you may be able to offer. I don't like red whipping and have some Piper's silk in 'brass' and some finer silk in mahogany to tip it off with. I think some intermediates in mahogany would look rather nice as well.
Thank you for looking. Mick
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Mushy
Arctic Char

Re: Chapman 500 Gift!!!

Post by Mushy »

Nice rod Mick, I too received a rod for free from a friend who just preferred to see it used than rotting away in the shed !

I have just started using my 500 recently one of the few vintage rods with a decent handle length so great for touch ledgering when a good balance prevents your wrist dropping off at the end of the session !

That butt ring is original by the way and yes it probably could do with a few more rings as does mine, which it will get when my new 600 tip arrives from Chapmans, yes 600, I will be constructing a 500/600 hybrid.
Best Fishes
Mushy

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A friend indeed ! Excellent, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

A generous gesture. I hope it serves you well
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Agate lined tip & butt ring are a must for me. Paul Cook did an update/restoration of a pair for me and (although the whippings are still a red colour!) the rods are superb.

Your rod looks in great condition anyway!

Lucky chap!!

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Thanks for your comments Gents. I do intend to replace the butt ring with a lined one, if I can get one. I'll ring Chapmans on Monday morning and see if they have any in stock. I have a brand new tip ring that will fit nicely, but am not sure how to remove the original. Is a gentle heat the way to go? Still can't believe it has happened to me! At 69 years of age, I am like an excited kid with a new toy! I know there are a lot of 500 fans out there, but never in my wildest dreams did I think I would join your ranks!
Regards
Mick

Albert47
Dace

Post by Albert47 »

Good friend.Good rods.If you do refurbish it,put an extra ring on the tip section.Lucky man.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ask Chapmans about the tip ring too. They us a two pack epoxy glue now ( Araldite Rapid!) that will soften with a little gentle heat...try a nightlight candle,.... but I'm not sure what they used back then.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

A lovely gift! Have a look on the Chapmans website and you'll see the ring spacing's for the 500 de Luxe. The de Luxe spec is just about perfect for the 500.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear sir,I do have a 7.5 mm internal diameter ring which matches you set ,may be that would suit the extra one you needed on the top joint? The newer rings now are a thinner wire and do not match as well, my ring is as new and it's would be free.It seem a pity to replace the butt ring as that looks like the original ,but the tip looks like it maybe from a fly rod.Reelmaker

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”