My River Soar

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
AndyPop
Silver Bream

Re: My River Soar

Post by AndyPop »

A great river for varied fishing, fast flowing in places, weir pools, deep flowing meadows, it has them all. This season has been encouraging, plenty of small shoal fish (roach, dace, chublets, bleak) on the stretches I fish near Kegworth and the power station, along with some good chub over 4lb.
The video is good but a little confusing as the stretches shown move back & forth between Stanford on Soar (rail viaduct with the passing bus) and Sutton Bonnington in no real order.
"Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

I drive pass the river soar quiet often,i pass the section near the hobbyhorse island on the way back from coventry ,i always look and i start daydreaming of what fish it holds ,on my right has i travel home is an old stone bridge that crosses the river ,its one of those places you dream about spending the whole day down there
Would any of you leicestershire/nottinghamshire border chaps know if this stretch is dayticket
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Nice video Mark and those weirpools look fantastic!

Volksfish

Post by Volksfish »

As above , it's my childhood stomping ground, my grannies garden used to back onto the river bank.

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Quite a few places that I recognize there, Mark. I have always loved the Soar. Happy memories.

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Burnie
Dace

Post by Burnie »

I began on this nice little river in Aylestone around 1956 at the old boat house whilst my Dad was building our family boat, a few years later I fished the Straights in Leicester as well as Flash Farm and the Narborough Bogs. An old fishing pal who lives in the county still tells me after it was stocked there's some decent Barbel upstream of Aylestone, though I remember someone reported a small one from the Straights in the 1960's. The section between Whetstone and Aylestone was my Grandfathers old stomping grounds where he used to go fishing for Roach with silk lines and hooks to gut. I later fished it in a drainage channel cut out of the fields into the river that held some big Perch and a few decent Tench, the main river had some huge Chub, that I never managed to land until I was well into my 20's, as kids we were in awe of the Chub in there.

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Excellent fishing great looking river, a Loughborough Angling Society card will cost you just £30-00 for season or £9-00 a day from Stuart at Bennetts tackle shop Market Place Mountsorrel, where you will get a good service his worms and gentles are as good as I have purchased anywhere. Go give the Soar a try I doubt if you will be disappointed.

Return to “Other Rivers”