Fixed or Sliding Ledger Rig

This forum is for discussing Ledgering.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Fixed or Sliding Ledger Rig

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Dave Burr wrote:I misunderstood and thought you wanted to hold fast Mark. If you are exploring the swim then nothing beats plasticine or rather Newplast, the newer stuff which is excellent. If you find the plasticine comes off too easily or slides up and down the line, try moulding it around a stop knot or maybe a swivel if you are using a different hooklink.

Moving the bait down the current and feeling for bites is a brilliant method that many people seem to ignore. Feeling the pick up and the first contact with a fish is addictive.
I think I may have confused it with talking of trundling the baits which I have always found to be so much more effective than sitting with static baits for chub. sorry if I lead it (no pun intended) in a different direction but thinking about it I generally fish the same with static baits for chub too with zero rig bits other than the hook and a weight on a separate length to save damaging the main line.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

For my part I use a fixed link by attaching a short length of nylon through a rubber float stop on the mainline. Attached to the short piece of line are enough swan shot to hold bottom or less if you want to drift it about a bit.

The benefit is that firstly no knots on the line (except at the hook) and if the link snags it will pull free from the float stop. You can also move the ledger up and down the line to suit.

It is also pretty tangle free for some reason.

Worth a try Mark I would say, hope that helps.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I got as far as --- View the "rolling meat" videos/articles by Ray Walton!

A static lead, if a running rig it requires a strike, OR, a paternoster/fixed lead rig that may not require striking as if the lead/plasticine is heavy enough it becomes a self-hooking rig with the rod tip or quiver springing back.

I prefer the paternoster type when ledgering upstream, I can the move it downstream at will but not "trundle" Ray Walton style!

I also now use 'ceramic run rings' (inners of Fuji type rod rings) either purchased for catfish anglers or stripped from broken rings. 8mm or 10mm being fine.

Mushy is that fine pole elastic with a peg or something bigger?

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I did mean a static bait chaps and just wanted to see which of the two methods I listed was the better one to use for fishing on the far side of the river.

I don't think I'm ready for rolling baits just yet. :Confused:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Mark wrote:I did mean a static bait chaps and just wanted to see which of the two methods I listed was the better one to use for fishing on the far side of the river.

I don't think I'm ready for rolling baits just yet. :Confused:
Not as difficult as it sounds Mark, I tend to use a drilled bullet along with a buffer bead and a stop shot, providing you get the weight right simply lifting the rod and giving some slack will allow the bait to work it's way down stream.
To me it is the most subtle way of fishing as your bait will tend to end up exactly where natural food items end up. :Hat:

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

This is my take on it. When static ledgering and using a running loop link ledgering its very unlikely a fish would take the bait and be able to pull the line through a running loop without dislodging the weight. You can test this in your garden. The direction of pull would have to be in line with the weight almost imposable when you think about it. I no longer use paternosters or running loops with smaller weights .I just pinch the swan shot straight on the main line the secret is using minimum weight to hold bottom.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

How true Paul - but it is fished best when starting by casting upstream and bringing the bait back to you. Rather like upstream nymphing!

Once you have the idea Paul's method above works although I fish the bait as I would do trotting - but without the float!

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Agree MA, I just don't like pinching swans to the main line, this modern metal replacement stuff needs a reasonable pinch and am concerned about damaging the main line, that's why I use a paternoster.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Mushy wrote:Agree MA, I just don't like pinching swans to the main line, this modern metal replacement stuff needs a reasonable pinch and am concerned about damaging the main line, that's why I use a paternoster.
Same with me. I started putting the shot on over fine silicone but ended up with a simple knot and pinch the shot on the tag end where it doesn't matter. I also think it pulls free easier this way should it get stuck thus losing the shot but not ruining your line.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Yes agree that could be a problem when using fine lines . When I ledger like this its usually for chub and I am using 6lb maxima so its never a problem I need to worry about, big baits like bread, luncheon meat, wasp grub cake.
If I was going to use a paternoster rig I would tie the dropper with a sliding knot so you can adjust the length of hook length from paternoster to the hook. I fish 6lb straight through nearly always . Paternosters are Ok if your afraid of breakages caused by the shot, better than a sliding link in my opinion
But for what I am doing I just don't bother any more it works for me :Thumb: .
Last edited by Match Aerial on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ledgering”