Sorting out the speedia...

The Speedia Reels forum.
Beryl

Sorting out the speedia...

Post by Beryl »

Ive worked though all 71 threads. I'm pretty sure the float adjusting grub screw isn't brass. also I'm sure its bush in the spool body isn't brass either. The most cost effective refurb of a knackered item in my opinion is a new bush, reamed with an adjustable reamer to whatever the spindle is miked at plus a thou or two. The bush mentioned is an interference fit. it is slightly larger than the hole it is pushed into under pressure. it can be removed in the same way.

I've an awful example so will try to justify the above statements with some examples. I need to find a model maker. These guys have the kit you need.

Beryl

Re: Sorting out the speedia...

Post by Beryl »

just a start. the grub screw is 4.70mm. Even fully screwed down with no more thread left there is still a little end float. Something is well worn out...?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Earlier Speedias were advertised as being re-bushable by the factory in Shepherds Bush. I don't think later ones were.

I wonder if your grub screw is non original? That'd explain the clearance issue and the non-brass material.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Nobby wrote:Earlier Speedias were advertised as being re-bushable by the factory in Shepherds Bush. I don't think later ones were.

I wonder if your grub screw is non original? That'd explain the clearance issue and the non-brass material.
That's certainly a possible. Brass, unlike phoshur-bronze isn't something you use for long -life. I was taught the latter will cause the harder to wear. So. The hardened spindle should be worn rather than the softer bush. In real life and looking at the Speedia this is not the real-life case. I have to say owning a couple of these old reels has stimulated my interest in engineering. Much like the Ducati singles that took up seven years of my life.... We even had one behind the sofa in the living room. My mother-in-law never mentioned it.. Respect

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

If it's the later type Speedia, the top bush which holds the grubscrew can be removed quite easily, it is just an interference fit and overtightening the grub screw can cause the bush to lift out of the drum. A light tap with a soft faced mallet will reset it then the grubscrew will once again do its intended job..I think the grubscrew is 7BA and should be steel..
Hope this makes sense and possibly helps with yours.

Wal.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

.......... Double post thing.
Last edited by Beryl on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

You could be right about the grubscrew size but I have one now which is very lightly used and the screw is 7BA and it is steel, I do have another reel which is well used and it has a 6BA grubscrew. Maybe the threads were worn or damaged and it was re-tapped to 6BA or maybe WR Products thought a stronger screw was needed and changed the size slightly.

Wal.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Wallys-Cast wrote:You could be right about the grubscrew size but I have one now which is very lightly used and the screw is 7BA and it is steel, I do have another reel which is well used and it has a 6BA grubscrew. Maybe the threads were worn or damaged and it was re-tapped to 6BA or maybe WR Products thought a stronger screw was needed and changed the size slightly.

Wal.
It's fifty years of make and mend. Unless someone comes across a vault of first editions, it's every man for himself. If it works It's good.

I'm trying and failing to upload the pic of my two Speedias that have the ratchet mech in 180 degrees opposite positions. What's that all about?

Why does the pic you actually need always fail to load on photobucket amongst all the others....?

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Try "tiny pic" if I can use it anyone can. :Hat:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

My Speedia has a 6ba grub screw. Every one I've owned has had a mild steel 6ba screw. The (very worn) bushing on mine is almost certainly brass. I've just measured my grub screw and it's 4.96mm long. I can screw it in far enough so that the drum won't turn on the pin so it looks like you've got a bit of wear on either pin or the screw.

I've been thinking of ways of curing the wobble on my reel and I think that the quickest and easiest solution is to find someone with a lathe and get them to machine me a new pin with a slightly larger diameter.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Return to “Speedia Reels”