Hardy Wallis - Avon

The Hardy Rods forum.
Kirpan
Bleak

Hardy Wallis - Avon

Post by Kirpan »

Hi,
This is another of my rods, a Hardy Wallis - Avon, I went a bit mad and bought it from the Bay 'Of' E, I suppose some of you had seen it

My story is, that I had seen it in the flesh in an angling shop near Bromley and to all intents was pristine, was offered it for £300, when I went back was told it had been sold, but if the prospective buyer did not return I would have first choice, I called and was told again it was sold , then I saw it on the "Bay", with the shop as seller , that made me determined to get it, and to collect it if I won , I did and the look on his face was priceless :Hahaha:

Back to the rod , I can't find a serial No or letter and I have looked all over, the label on the bag says " to the late King George V " ,could anyone tell me more ?

Now to the fishing, I am almost scared to use it, but not to would be a crime. I understand its a bit of an all round rod, so could someone tell me more ?

Kirpan
Bleak

Re: Hardy Wallis - Avon

Post by Kirpan »

You all must have guessed I am new to cane fishing !!

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

It has been restored, the butt ring is wrong, too large, should be smaller agate lined, the butt end cap has been replaced, this is where the serial number would be to determine the date it was made.
The original writing has been replaced too.

All that said, the standard of finish is superb.

These rods are fantastic for general fishing from float to light ledger, I have had smallish barbel & decent chub on mine, it is my go to river chub rod.

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

Hi,
I have seen that type of butt ring and transfer type naming on several Hardy coarse fishing rods I own that have not been refurbished and considered them to be original. They are all later 1960's rods though. Occasionally the serial dating number is stamped onto the reel fitting rings rather than the butt cap so have a look it may be present. Nice rod by the way.

Dok

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

That writing and butt ring are on a similar Hardy rod "Expert 13ft" on the Bay of E. From a nearby area-- ?

Damflask
Grayling

Post by Damflask »

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Damflask wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:24 pm Image
Hi Damflask,
can you tell us the year of this Hardy catalogue please?
Best regards
Mem

Damflask
Grayling

Post by Damflask »

Oh, I can't remember!
It was for sale on evilbay and open at this page, so I took screenshot.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”