Walker style nets

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Paul Cook
Grayling

Walker style nets

Post by Paul Cook »

Following on from the excellent posts from Watermole regarding the making of the Walker nets 1 and 2 and finding myself working alongside him was a very humbling experience . With the skilled engineering works carried out to create a bespoke and complex walker style net , the split cane laminated arms I was asked to make and supply seem to pale into insignificance in comparison .
My only part other than the arms was to make my own handle so now it was down to me to complete the net , something I was keen to do .
I wanted to try something different this time round as far as the flame pattern that I tend to use on my own landing net handles and as it was for me , I could play about with ideas at my own leisure .
The tip end of the arms were whipped in black as I requested so it was only right to continue this theme on the handle . As well as this thought in mind , due to the style of pattern flaming I wanted to use a similar coloured silk that was warm looking and used this to tip the black node whippings in this chestnut silk .
Finally , after straightening the bamboo , flame patterning and applying the silk it was ready for varnishing and after several coats the handle was finally complete . It would be easy to just stand this in the tackle room and not use it for fear of damage but this will be joining me on the bank .

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Re: Walker style nets

Post by KenSowerbutts »

Truly lovely , and nice to hear something so good will actually be used , well done .
Knowledge comes but Wisdom lingers

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Absolutely stunning work, pure art.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

What a beauty, wonderful, well done chaps. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

I'm currently trying to do a Walker style net myself but can't see it getting anywhere near the quality of that,truly a work of art :drool:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Seeing both yours and WM+'s work side by side is truly breathtaking.

I've followed this thread through both your's and WM+'s perspective and it is truly inspirational. Just when you think it couldn't get better....well .....enough said. :Hat: :Hat: :Hat:

On a personal note I do wince when I see the pics of the net on a small wall, having had some rather painful experience prior :Hahaha: , although evidence and time passage would prove this not the culprit. :Chuckle: :Chuckle: :Sarcasm: :Sarcasm:

Truly outstanding :Hat:
Last edited by Northern_Nomad on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Breathtaking work !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Very nice indeed !
Best Fishes
Mushy

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

A thing of beauty!

Just needs a picture with a fish nestled in the bottom of the net now.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Beautiful work, well done to both of you :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”