Help required centrepin reel.

The Other Reels forum.
Fredline
Tench

Help required centrepin reel.

Post by Fredline »

This is the first Black Cat centrepin reel I have ever seen. I have seen ads for them but never a reel up close and personal. It is not bad. Well engineered with a rim lever optional ratchet and a "wheel in the hole" adjustable drag system. Spins beautifully on bearings. I know absolutely nothing about the maker of this reel. But I'll put money on someone in TFFland educating me. Any info will be much appreciated. Fredline.

If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Help required centrepin reel.

Post by AshbyCut »

Not one I've come across, Sir ... but maybe the people at Sussex Tackle and Bait who are selling one for £50 "Buy it Now" on a certain well known auction site could help :-

https://www.bing.com/mapspreview?&ty=18 ... 6&v=2&sV=1
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

i'll have a dig around in my notes ,but you may of noticed its passing resemblance too a speedia reel , they're good reels .I think they originated in the ninties ,and modelled in the style of the speedia's and in some ways a improvement .there are a few minus points ,the handles and the short foot ,the ratchet lever is a little too high on the rim .but good reels non the less ,that don't come along too often .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

oh & yeh ,that's a non original line guard ,that guard is off a durocast or another old pin .

T Myatt
Ruffe

Post by T Myatt »

Chaps, I'd put them as late seventies or early eighties as a mate used to use one and it would have been around then. A little bit heavier than a Speedia, if I remember correctly. I think I've seen a review for them in the old Angling magazine when Sandy Leventon was Editor, I'll try and find it.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

sadly any info I had on them was on a older hard drive / archive that I lost (it died ,unexpectedly) ,I've just a few pictures left now . hopefully Mr myatt will have more look .

T Myatt
Ruffe

Post by T Myatt »

Chavender,

I'm still looking!

T Myatt
Ruffe

Post by T Myatt »

Gentlemen,

Found it! A bit earlier than I thought but there's a very good review of the reel in August 1976 Angling magazine. I'm not typing the whole lot out so here'e a brief outline.

The reel was submitted for field-testing (their words) by Hadley Tackle Company, 228 High Street, Barnet, Herts.

Described as "A 4.5-inch job with a sealed ball-bearing, it weighs 11oz and runs like a dream. The reel-stand is moulded into the backplate and is smooth so that it is kind to line even if it does go round it"

The platitudes go on the drum is "beautifully turned", "Check switch and brake are strong and both excellently placed", "longest running centrepin we have ever handled" and so forth.

Price was "£17.50 retail as an introductory offer".

No lineguard in the magazine photo so I guess a previous owner has added that, the reel foot couldn't have been smooth enough for him...

Tony

T Myatt
Ruffe

Post by T Myatt »

Sorry meant to say the praise goes on... not platitudes. oops

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Many thanks Tony, top job.
Now you have found the year of manufacture it was quite easy to find this ad. from David Halls' Coarse Fisherman magazine, December 1976.
I wonder of anyone has ever considered the option that line guards could be bought separately?
Another search required.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Return to “Other Reels”