Docken Grubs

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Fisherman1947
Dace

Docken Grubs

Post by Fisherman1947 »

Has anyone thought about using real docken grubs I have just bought some artificial ones .

Old fishermen never die they only smell that way.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Re: Docken Grubs

Post by Stour Otter »

Hello Fishman1947.
As a part time gardener I come across this larva quite often. Its of the Stag Beetle and is on the "Protected Species" list. The artificials may work as "Sink 'n' Draw" method or using a drop shot. But I fear using the real feller would be illegal under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Use a slug insead!

Information:
https://ptes.org/campaigns/stag-beetles ... tle-facts/

Last edited by Stour Otter on Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I tie a fly using elastic bands which looks very similar to the docken grub but perhaps more like a maggot.I have caught a few trout using it but the "purists" are not impressed!
Mark Davies

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

I used the docken grub in the past.trotted down the river.brown trout loved them but seatrout are real suckers for them.i used to gather them from the roots of a plant with yellow flowers,I'm sure we called it the docken plant or weed.ive not used them in years.you had to carry them separately or they kill each other.a guy told me he carried them in shotgun cartridges with the gun belt,if I'm not mistaken they could nip.nowadays a big long shank hook with white or yellow chenille turned on it and a bit of black chenille for a head works just as good,they must look like big stick bait to the fish.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”