New old hat

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Harry H
Tench

Re: New old hat

Post by Harry H »

I'm really pleased with it and it's individual look, must admit to having what I call a girlie shoe moment when I really liked the first one I put on my head but had to try on the other another 8 before going back to the first. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I had to take pot luck as I ordered it on-line but to be fair out of all the ones I've seen I haven't envied anyone else's more than my own. It has been a lucky hat since day one and is already very well traveled.

Regular_Caster
Gudgeon

Post by Regular_Caster »

I wondered chaps, has anyone got any hats from Lock and Co? They are priced quite high, but I am tempted by the Grouse rollable Trilby for the winter. It has a John Wilson quality look about it in my eyes.

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Purchased this lovely Amish Straw Hat from Sutlers in the 1990's. It makes a perfect sun hat. Modern baseball style caps do very little to keep the sun from burning you, especially the tops of the ears and the back of the neck. Ideal head gear for fishing or being close to water.

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

It's funny how you can get so attached to a hat, it almost becomes part of you the longer you wear it.

Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Post by Das-Bolt »

Dave Burr wrote:Wore mine once, got soaked as they are about as waterproof as a newspaper. Haven't worn it since.
One XL tarp hat free to a good home.
You can make it waterproof (or at least resistant) by using Fjallraven wax, it looks like a bar of soap, just rub it in and use a hair drier/fan heater to melt it until absorbed it's not sticky like Barbour wax. I don't have a Tarp hat but it worked well on an old Tilley.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Das-Bolt wrote:
Dave Burr wrote:Wore mine once, got soaked as they are about as waterproof as a newspaper. Haven't worn it since.
One XL tarp hat free to a good home.
You can make it waterproof (or at least resistant) by using Fjallraven wax, it looks like a bar of soap, just rub it in and use a hair drier/fan heater to melt it until absorbed it's not sticky like Barbour wax. I don't have a Tarp hat but it worked well on an old Tilley.

Thanks Das-Bolt. I know they can be waterproofed but I shall not bother. I think they are a bit of a rip off to be honest. There, I said it.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Another one for the lucky Tarp hat.
P1000990.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

You've got a fat one Bob!

Good to see your latest Tarp hat lasting longer than the first. I love mine.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”