Steve Woolley - Walker Based Net - Clarissa

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Pallenpool
Zander

Steve Woolley - Walker Based Net - Clarissa

Post by Pallenpool »

I wanted to post an item about Steven Woolley a most wonderful chap and super rod builder. Have you ever been to his shop in Ashbourne? It is like taking a journey back in time. The place is overwhelmed by cane, some vintage some newly built, some ready for collection with the odd one or two being studiously worked on by the man himself. Steven is a craftsmen cast from the mould of a bygone rod building tradition. It seemed to me he does what he does for the sheer love and joy of his art.
Anyway, I am rambling, to my reason for this post - I have been looking for a Walker inspired landing net for an age and got a tip off that Steven had built one or two and may have one for sale. I called him and to my utmost surprise and joy he said yes! I am now the proud owner of a simply stunning net the likes of which are very very rare indeed. It is called 'Clarissa' what a catch that was and this net is most definitely a great prize also.
----------------
I have included some pictures, I hope you enjoy looking at them. Incidentally when I was collecting the net Steve showed me another built cane handle (unfinished) and a spreader block. I dare say if you give him a call he may well make you one.

Last edited by Pallenpool on Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: Steve Woolley - Walker Based Net - Clarissa

Post by Bobthefloat »

Wow what a beautiful net sir

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

That is a lovely net, Steve does make some very nice nets.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Absolutely splendid - I wish you all the best in catching a carp to christen it.

It does seem such a shame that many such fine nets rarely see a fish and not because the angler lacks the skill - it appears that such nets rarely grace the bank.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I could not agree more, I have every intention of using this net, it is surely no good at all just standing alongside the rod rack simply looking the part.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

This looks fabulous.

What's the best way to store the Walker style net arms? I'm, guessing over winter, if the net is not being used, then taking the arms off the T piece and hanging them like a rod would be ideal but what about when the net is being used a lot?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Good evening Sir, I am afraid I am somewhat of a hack when it comes to the ins and outs of tackle maintenance. Generally with anything cane I wipe my rods down and either hang or rack them. However with a net like this, I intend to, firstly, as you have intimated - over winter when not in use I will basically disassemble the net and hang the cane handle & arms in the bag supplied. In Spring and Summer when the net will be used alot the mesh will be taken off to air dry (if I am fortunate enough to catch) and the arms and handle placed into the net bag and hung. If you have any suggestions for storage wether it be for frequent or infrequent use I would very much like to hear from you Sir.
Best
P.

Heraclitus

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

How easy is it to take the net off the arms – are there split rings at the ends of each arm?

Everything you suggest seems sensible. I guess since the arms can be put slightly under pressure by reducing the length of the cord they are not over sensitive to being bent unlike the way that we try to ensure our rods don't take a set. I think it's making sure the parts all dry out naturally after use that is the critical thing to avoid trapping moisture.

The metal parts will take on a natural patina and it would be down to personal choice if you want to polish them bright again or not. If you do so it might be worth masking the varnished cane parts with lo-tack tape while you polish to avoid abrading or damaging the varnish in any way.

I look forward to hearing that you've landed a good fish with it!
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Good afternoon Beresford, the net is indeed replete with 2 split rings allowing an easy slide off for net drying or arm storage as and when required. I will obviously keep the block clean - but really do fancy that old patina developing as it reels in the years Best regards
P.

Heraclitus

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Pallenpool wrote:I could not agree more, I have every intention of using this net, it is surely no good at all just standing alongside the rod rack simply looking the part.
Good for you Pallenpool - absolutely delighted that you intend to use it. I have just concluded an arrangement to acquire a Maurice Ingham Carp Net and I too hope to use it for the purpose it was designed and made for - just have to hope to catch a carp of respectable size.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”