Red Scarf

Enter this forum only if you dare.
Badger
Grayling

Red Scarf

Post by Badger »

As my Trout season comes to an end on the chalk streams of Southern England, I am looking through the seasons fishing dairy and realised that I had fished the River Avon a few times this year and very enjoyable it had been as well.

As I reflected on this seasons exploits, my mind drifted back to Mayfly time three years ago and how I had an unexpected visit to the Avon in Wiltshire

Previously that month, my fishing friend had a couple of business colleagues visiting from the US who were very keen fly fisherman. He had asked me if I would like to make up a fourth rod on a very exclusive beat of the Test and help him host their visit. Of course I said yes. Unfortunately when we arrived at our exclusive beat there were 2 other rods on it. In order not to ruin our guests day we sent them off onto the lower beat whilst we sat in the sun phoning the agent trying to sort it all out. The net effect was that we only fished for a few hours but our guests had a fine day and we all had a good dinner. The agent promised us something special just for the two of us to make up for the double booking.

So it was, three weeks later that we found ourselves on a very beautiful and private estate in Wiltshire with miles of water all to ourselves.

As is our way we like to walk some of the water first, observe what's going on, chat, fish together for a bit and then wander off on our own to meet up later.

I soon found myself on lovely warm Mayday, pausing below a fairy tale stone bridge and looking at the shallow water on the stones darken as the bottom slid away into a deep pool and fast moving run on the opposite bank.

Suddenly I saw something move in the water.Sometimes if fish are feeding on nymphs you might see the flash of a flank on the edge of the fast moving water but its silver, white or bronze. This was red in colour. I laughed, never heard of Arctic Char in the Avon. There it was again, waving in the stream. Curious I walked up onto the bridge to see if I could get a better few. As I looked down into the depths of the pool a sudden coldness descended upon me and a feeling of complete dread. I felt a shortness of breath and a suffocating sensation. I immediately pulled back from the top of the bridge and walking briskly away upstream, dropping my net and some fly boxes in my haste.

I said nothing to my companion when we met for lunch by the house half an hour later.

The afternoon was spent enjoying great sport on the upper beats and many a Trout rose to my Mayfly.

It was only later that evening when safely home again that I began to investigate the history of the estate and discovered that 140 years earlier, two young lovers, a 16 year old chamber maid and a 18 year old groom from the estate had tied their hands together with a red scarf and walked into the river together and drowned themselves below the bridge.
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

WoodMagnet
Silver Bream

Re: Red Scarf

Post by WoodMagnet »

:Scared: That just had the hairs on the back of my neck stand on edge Badger.
A.K.A. Kevin.
Qui audet adipiscatur.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

:Scared:

I like it.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Excellent; one of the attractions to being outside in the country ..... all kinds of experiences. Great post !

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I love a good spooky tale. Did you go back for your discarded items?
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

WoodMagnet wrote::Scared: That just had the hairs on the back of my neck stand on edge Badger.
And me !
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I really don't why I keep reading this section it doesn't help me one bit on evening sessions on my own!!!!

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

Thanks gents. It sent a shiver down my spine as well when I discovered the history.
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I've read this story before in an old fishing book, but can't remember which one. Looks like you're not the only one to have seen the red scarf wafting in the current by the bridge.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Danny
Stickleback

Post by Danny »

Great story

Return to “Haunted Swims and Fishing Stories”