Knotless 36" carp net mesh

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Knotless 36" carp net mesh

Post by Beresford »

Yes and no! I have two green meshes, both are the modern smaller mesh type which is what I want for fish care. I might sort out some green cord to tie them to the net arms and cut off the sleeved top edge. Having gone to the effort and expense of having a split cane net it would be nice to see the cane arms at least a little.

Thanks for asking.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I take it the Agutters mesh was not suitable, was it (maybe) the cost or indeed the mesh size? I have to agree with you sighting the modern mesh more or less obscuring the cane arms. To my eye it just does not sit right aesthetically speaking. But then again what is one to do? I am very surprised that nobody makes a suitable of the shelf number for older style nets (baring Agutters) - from say 24" - 36". I guess the asking price would be prohibitive given the amount that would sell.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I decided very much in favour of the fish and hence to a modern mesh.

In the end the welfare of the fish had to come above mere aesthetics which is why I decided to keep away from large meshes. Both the river keepers I know on the forum (there may be more than two) have told me/us the same thing – big meshes can and do damage fish. I have two net bags to play with, one is by Greys. It's very soft, an olive green and has different size meshes. I like it a lot but the top has a kind of fabric sleeve that would just about hide the cane arms. It's this net that I think I would cut that top sleeve off but then tie the net bag under the arms with green cord. However, I'll have to test this with some bags of sugar as the net may pull apart or slip badly when loaded. If so then I'll need to think again. I also think the actual net might be quite delicate in use as it's so soft.

The other is Shakespeare net head that I can take the net bag off. You can tell it's cheaper quality. The mesh is one size and not quite as soft. It's a more bluish green but net mesh including the sleeve for the arms rather than a fabric top. In many ways it's a good solution but now knowing there is a softer mesh I'm less pleased with this option. I think I'll put this on the Dave Austin net head I have to replace the battered but similar Leeda net head that I have tended to use on a 7' handle. I've pretty much stopped carp fishing now until next year so there is plenty of time to fiddle around with a solution.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Good evening Sir, I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the welfare of our catches. So much so that I have in the past employed a seamstress to try and join very small meshes to a slightly larger ones - in order to satisfy both my traditional aesthetics and the essential wellbeing of the fish. Unfortunately we both gave up on this idea when the stitching just kept giving way plus the rib that was produced when the materials were gathered together made it rather tough. As a footnote I must admit I did not think the Agutters mesh was prohibitively large when I saw it, the mesh size was similar to a JRC roamer net that I own. I wish you all the best in getting an appropriate solution ready for next year.
Regards
P.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Just nick them under the chin and drag them up the bank...you'll not notice the wounds once your taxidermist has done a proper job....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

RBTraditional wrote:Image
Just nick them under the chin and drag them up the bank...you'll not notice the wounds once your taxidermist has done a proper job....
:laugh: :laugh1:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Pallenpool wrote:Good evening Sir, I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the welfare of our catches. So much so that I have in the past employed a seamstress to try and join very small meshes to a slightly larger ones - in order to satisfy both my traditional aesthetics and the essential wellbeing of the fish. Unfortunately we both gave up on this idea when the stitching just kept giving way plus the rib that was produced when the materials were gathered together made it rather tough. As a footnote I must admit I did not think the Agutters mesh was prohibitively large when I saw it, the mesh size was similar to a JRC roamer net that I own. I wish you all the best in getting an appropriate solution ready for next year.
Regards
P.

Interesting to read. I'll let you know how I get on.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

RBTraditional wrote:Image
I knew someone would have the ULTIMATE solution thanks very much indeed - do you have a spare?

Heraclitus

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Funnily enough I do have a spare, it's a 1950s Hardy job, the old man used it for taming Salmon on the Deveron and the Spey. Saves all that trouble replacing worn out or damaged nets, no smelly car on the way home and virtually bio secure regards transmissuon if nasty viruses
...can't for the life of me think why the carp syndicates don't insist upon their use.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

RBTraditional wrote:Funnily enough I do have a spare, it's a 1950s Hardy job, the old man used it for taming Salmon on the Deveron and the Spey. Saves all that trouble replacing worn out or damaged nets, no smelly car on the way home and virtually bio secure regards transmissuon if nasty viruses
...can't for the life of me think why the carp syndicates don't insist upon their use.
You never know - a change may be a coming - makes sense to me. On a more serious note when I was a boy (a good few years ago now) I used to go with my uncle Salmon fishing on the lower reaches of the river Conwy in Wales - and I seem to remember him having one of these - that was when the Conwy actually still produced good Salmon - strange with all the poaching that was obviously going on with nets as well as the licensed chaps Salmon could still be had - in a very short space of time various factors have killed it - that's progress for you - which brings us neatly round to your ultimate solution. Cheers Sir for the banter -
Best P.
P.s That fish your holding looks absolutely splendid - how did the taxidermist get on with that? It must have cost a small fortune to prepare and mount - that's not including the shed to give it a favourable home - :Chuckle:

Heraclitus

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”