Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Don't think anything as yet comes close to A Passion. Nothing makes you want to grab a rod and go a-angling as much.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Don't think anything as yet comes close to A Passion. Nothing makes you want to grab a rod and go a-angling as much.
Well said Stu, couldn't agree more :Hat:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Irritatingly boyish???? Surely reliving ones youth is what it's all about.....well it is for me, the only adult thing I do is go to the pub afterwards.....which is exactly where I am now.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Well we will have to bid to differ there because going fishing for me is the one thing that keeps one foot back in my youth. When I fish I have not a care in the world and every day is different, every swim a new challenge full of opportunity even though I may have fished it a hundered times before. I fish evey week, sometimes twice a week and I still can't sleep properly the night before I go.....APFA summed up competley for me why we fish.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

RBTraditional wrote:Well we will have to beg to differ there because going fishing for me is the one thing that keeps one foot back in my youth. When I fish I have not a care in the world and every day is different, every swim a new challenge full of opportunity even though I may have fished it a hundred times before. I fish every week, sometimes twice a week and I still can't sleep properly the night before I go.....APFA summed up completely for me why we fish.....
Nicely put and well said, Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

Anglers corner is my second, followed by catching the impossible. I watched the Michael hordern rod & line episodes recently and found them depressing and joyless. The composer should be shot.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It is true that in APFA the two men were talking in squeaky childish voices and in a pretty childish manner.....it does grate a bit, but does it truly matter?
The whole thing was a bit fabricated, don't forget .... I don't believe they had met each other until being recruited for the film, which was intended to be a single episode, but made into a series when the first can of film pleased Hugh so much.

And that's the 'thing' really...Hugh Miles is an extremely accomplished wildlife film maker.

Now who amongst us hasn't been struck speechless by the beauty of nature when out fishing? And Hugh captured that, which is surely why we love it so much. He made a perfect choice in commissioning Jenny Musket for the score too...stunningly beautiful original music.

Neither of the lads were or are actors...and I guess it shows. I might level the same criticism of Magical Waters featuring the late John Searl... the conversations are stilted and jerky, but considering Paul Witcher had only just hung up his overalls and picked up a camera it's pretty impressive stuff really:

https://vimeo.com/38383483

In fact I'd go so far as to say Paul showed the same strain of genius he did with a camera as he had before with a lathe. And old John was quite an angler, wasn't he?

Tweed

Post by Tweed »

I guess that style of film is something you either really like or don't.

Sentimental music over random "wildlife" shots attempt to carry us to a place between the screen, the bankside and our psyche. The trouble starts if you identify that this isn't a path one desires or wishes to tread in that particular way.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

for me i do like mick brown and matt hayes there not very traditional but there great shows

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Jack Hargreaves fishing the Turks Pond is my favourite fishing film ( clip ) ever ...in my opinion

Return to “Fishing Films”