Hello

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Peacock Quill
Stickleback

Hello

Post by Peacock Quill »

Hi
I'm Lee and 47 and have fished since I was 6, I started fishing for anything that would bite my hook that was the size of a spaniel and the rod was about 5 feet long! My first rod come via 3 tokens collected from Rice Krispie packets and was far more suited to beating down stinging nettles and floats and hooks were just as useless. Years later I longed for a Mitchell Match or Mitchell 300 but could never afford one... I suppose that is what drove me to start collecting Mitchell reels, its not for there great engineering or silent slick running!
I carp fished for many years with all the modern tackle but stopped several years ago as I have 2 children and work away, but to be totally honest I stopped enjoying fishing due to many of the totally selfish 'modern' anglers attitudes . 4 years ago my daughter asked me to take her fishing, I dusted down my old float rod and Mitchell Match and found some old quill floats and I started..... to enjoy myself again. I managed to purchase a cane B James IV Avon rod that goes very nicely with a Mitchell 300 and I have added 2 centre pin reels to my collection that I'm utterly useless with...
My new passion's are quill floats (I can spend hours admiring them) and Crucian Carp that can send my moods to blood boiling when I keep missing bites to life's greatest pleasure when I manage to hit one! I managed 15 over 2lbs to 2lbs 10oz in only 3 trips this season, I caught 40 in 1 trip all over a 1lb, as you can probably tell I'm quite impressed myself and I would love to say it was down to watercraft and skill but it was pure luck!
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and tight lines.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Hello

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Lee.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Welcome to the forum! I also have a passion for quill floats. I can't stop making them! And there's nothing like watching a quill float, especially when it disappears.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Post by Eddy Pools »

Hello Lee, welcome to the TFF

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Welcome to the TFF Lee

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Welcome to the forum, PQ

You'll find many here who are equally disillusioned with the `selfishness' of modern fishing approaches, and find much more satisfaction in a peaceful day's fishing with traditional equipment. This group is very friendly and willing to share its thoughts and ideas on all manner of questions about tackle, techniques, clothing, floatmaking, and how to cast with those centrepins. We hope your daughter enjoys the fishing too.

G. B.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Welcome to the TFF, Lee!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »