Float Creep?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Fredline
Tench

Float Creep?

Post by Fredline »

I spent a most enjoyable day yesterday in my loft installing an in-line fan for the shower. Just where does all that dust come from? I had to move some "stuff" and came across a pile of The Anglers News magazines from 1954/55 that I had forgotten about. After installation and a shower, the fan works very well, I sat down with this pile of magazines and a glass or two of red. For me this is absolute heaven---old fishing mags a and a glass of red. They did not disappoint. I found this advert from 1954 for Fluro Floats extolling the virtues of their Nero Tipped Opthalmic Black range. The thing that intrigued me was the statement at the bottom of the advert "Each Fluro float is packed in a free cellophane packet of float caps with instructions on the abolition of float creep". It conjures up so many questions---
What is "float creep"?

" I am sorry Mrs Fredline your husband has Float Creep".
" Keep away from him he is a real Float Creep".
" Fishing is suspended due to Float Creep".

Did they ever abolish it?

If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Float Creep?

Post by Dave Burr »

The temptation to make 'float creep' comments on this forum is almost too much - but I'll pass and be serious.

I think they are on about your float 'creeping' up or down from it's original set position. Every time you strike, there's force on the float which can cause it to move a bit. Likewise, the cast can move it. To get over this I tend to fix a small shot just below the float which will prevent downward movement and warn me of any upward movement.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Float creep.....sounds like a new offering from Marilyn Manson
Last edited by RBTraditional on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Well said Dave, my thought exactly. Somewhat lazily I tend to just pile on more "Anti-float Creeps". Found this packet of the little chaps some time ago in the bottom of an old creel pick up at a car boot. Obviously this kind of vintage ephemera is unusual to find and sadly all the float creeps had crept off.

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

What a lovely little packet Stour Otter, see that on a tackle shop shelf and a few sixpences in your pocket would come out. I wonder what Infra red impregnation was on a float?

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I'd bet by next weekend some paylake owner will have banned the creeping float. If it needed abolishing in the '50s...

Does the Nero Tip fiddle when your bivvy catches fire?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”