River Frome (Dorset)

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: River Frome (Dorset)

Post by Olly »

I too have struggled when the river turns a really dirty brown! But as it happens regularly have managed to sneak out the odd fish down the edge on small worms.

In rivers farther north grayling seem to be used to dirty water floods and do feed. Peat Border rivers mainly.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Bob Brookes wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:58 am
Dave Burr wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:46 am
Bob Brookes wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:07 am It is always good to have a reason for failure! Stuart purchased a winter ticket which is only up to the end of February.
DaceAce wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:27 am When I saw the rise in water level on Saturday I guessed you might struggle. At one time there were silt traps on the tank ranges at Bovington but I'm not sure they work any more hence it colouring up very quickly. I last fished that area 30 years ago - I've done better further up for the bigger grayling - but now there are some chub in the river, thinking about it, that swim looks the sort of water that might hold chub. If Stuart does return this season remember that the season closes on 28th Feb as the salmon season starts on 1st March.
Having said all that, Rich Cleavage and I managed a two pounder each out a swollen river :tea: Just saying is all. :whistle:
Dave,
As I have said many times before, "You are my hero"! :Tongue:
I know, I know. And were it not for your dodgy knees, you would kneel before me and kiss my ring :Hahaha:

T Myatt
Ruffe

Post by T Myatt »

Olly,

Are you sure we're allowed to use worms :Chuckle: ?

Tony

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

That depends surely upon your Club permit. I use little red-worms - same as in the Scottish Borders where maggots are banned.
Last edited by Olly on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAA

Post by JAA »

Olly wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:37 pm That depends surely upon your permit. I use little red-worms - same as in the Scottish Borders.
To my knowledge, worms are OK, they always have been on a Wareham grayling permit, but you can always give Deano a ring to check. I prefer gilt-tails, the small ones with a yellow tip, hooked on the 'non-yellow' end.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

If I remember lobs could be banned during the Game season on various rivers, not for coarse fish though.

Like spinning for pike in Feb & March and accidentally catching a salmon. Conversely spinning for salmon after 15th May and catching a pike! Even fly fishing for salmon in March, April or May and catching a barbel!l

Return to “Other Rivers”