Home made groundbait, layers mash/vitalin

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Slumption
Bleak

Home made groundbait, layers mash/vitalin

Post by Slumption »

I have a couple of cheap recipes that I swear by for ground bait. A base I use a lot is layers mash or Vitalin. One thing I've found is both can easily make gloopy gluey mixes.

Please share your recipes if you are using either ingredient and if you have a secret to the gloopy issue let me know :) here are my recipes:

Layers Mash
I buy a fine ground mash, riddle any big bits out (put these aside) and then make a 50/50 mix of mash and bread crumb (home ground from bread scraps). Extras, I'll add some frozen maggots or squats if I've had time to breed some. I mix some molasses into warm water and then pre mix the night before. Liquidising a small tin of corn is also good, I freeze any corn I have from previous sessions so often this ends up in my ground bait. Crushed hemp is also good, again roast the seeds yourself and then grind them. Now those lumps you saved when riddling the mash, cook them up when you have enough they'll work like groats.

Vitalin
I like Vitlain original, I've experimented with putting it through a food processor as well as soaking the flakes over night. I mix one third vitalin, layers mash and crumb but usually this is only as a pre-bait to be balled in. I've never got the mix right for a feeder. I might add some frozen corn. Normally this is my night before pre-bait for tench, I'll rake a small section of the swim, ball in then fish the lift over the top, worm, bread or corn on the hook.

Liquidised bread
Cheap white bread, whizzed up through my 'mr magic' food mixer then 1/3rd crushed hemp. Seems to be nice for float fishing, I mix a larger batch with condensed milk if I want it to stick together a bit then burst into a cloud.

Cheap extras
Strawberry Angel delight, powdered milk, I also use a German pudding powder that has a vanilla smell its used for making a kind of milky jelly. Ground up ginger nuts are also good.

Shimano
Minnow

Re: Home made groundbait, layers mash/vitalin

Post by Shimano »

I use Vitalin with any old pellets, old boilies, curry poweder, coriander,which I put through a blender and then add pigeon conditioner I have found to be an excellent mix on a method feeder. swing tip on a fibre glass rod

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I have a mix that I have used for years on and off for bream, in parts as below:

6 brown
2 white
2 layers mash
1 crushed hemp
2 krill* groundbait

I also add liquidised molasses, corn, mini pellets and anything else hanging around

*this has varied, and I've added various meals in over the years to add a pong, I'm now a little concerned about the environmental impact, thanks to something I read here, so will be reviewing for this year's bream fishing.

I do enjoy a 24 hour bream session and my boys come with me now which is magic. Here's a happy Will with a bream on the mix last year.

Tinypic doesn't seem to be working!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Given the chance, anything with corn in (like Vitalin) tend to set like cement - hence the need to get corn-flakes bowls in to soak before they dry.
Three ingredients to avoid this are bran, ground up cheapo digestive biscuits, and ground rice; I think Besan (chick-pea flour) would also do the trick.
Oh, and the obvious one that I missed - brown crumb.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Slumption wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:33 pm I have a couple of cheap recipes that I swear by for ground bait. A base I use a lot is layers mash or Vitalin. One thing I've found is both can easily make gloopy gluey mixes.

Please share your recipes if you are using either ingredient and if you have a secret to the gloopy issue let me know :) here are my recipes:
Vitalin
I like Vitlain original, I've experimented with putting it through a food processor as well as soaking the flakes over night. I mix one third vitalin, layers mash and crumb but usually this is only as a pre-bait to be balled in. I've never got the mix right for a feeder. I might add some frozen corn. Normally this is my night before pre-bait for tench, I'll rake a small section of the swim, ball in then fish the lift over the top, worm, bread or corn on the hook.

Liquidised bread
Cheap white bread, whizzed up through my 'mr magic' food mixer then 1/3rd crushed hemp. Seems to be nice for float fishing, I mix a larger batch with condensed milk if I want it to stick together a bit then burst into a cloud.
I use liquidised bread with Carnation added but usually loose feed hemp and corn with it. I'll try using ground added in when I start fishing again later this month. There's a number of different Vitalins which one do you use?

Has anybody tried dried mealworms (as groundbait that is)?
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

This is the one Iain. :Hat:
Bigger tinypic is playing up again, it's the stuff in the yellow bag.
Last edited by Paul D on Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I use dried bread crumb that has been ground virtually to a powder. I mix condensed milk into it if tench fishing.
Russ

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Luga00 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:48 pm I use dried bread crumb that has been ground virtually to a powder. I mix condensed milk into it if tench fishing.
Russ
I usually have some dried crumb with me (liquidised bread dried in the microwave) as it's useful for dealing with gloopiness.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Paul D wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:46 pm This is the one Iain. :Hat:
This stuff I assume: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... -food-15kg.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Stathamender wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:06 pm
Paul D wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:46 pm This is the one Iain. :Hat:
This stuff I assume: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... -food-15kg.
That's it. :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”