Recommend some chest waders please

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Recommend some chest waders please

Post by Dave Burr »

Phil has summed it up nicely, waders are great when you need them but not essential for a good days fishing. If yo want a pair for the trip then I'd suggest you start off cheap with something like these - https://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/chest ... 0/no/48563 You'll sweat like heck but it'll be fine when you are up to your danglies in running water.

Hardwear breathable at about £60 are a good bet but you'll need some boots to go with it for £40 up but make sure you buy a packet of studs for the soles.

Of course, you may make your purchase, visit the river and find it's carrying 6' of extra water. So you can delay spending your money and, if it's suitable to wade, pop over to Brecon and Fishtec where you can buy it over the counter.

Anglingbear
Silver Bream

Post by Anglingbear »

VASS are very good, and a nice loose fit if u have a bit of a belly like me....

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

...they all leak in the end....I say breathable

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have used neoprene waders - very hot in the summer - sweaty hot! I have 'grown' out of them around my waist! So they have gone.

I have also used breathable Gortex ones - absolutely superb! £150 - £500!!

However as I seldom use them, the Gortex are very expensive, so it all depends how often you will use them?

Will you get your moneys worth? That's my bottom line!

A compromise could be waist waders in neoprene?

Mercman
Roach

Post by Mercman »

Gentlemen thank you all very much for the replies, I have got a little thinking to do but will decide nearer the time :cheers:

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I use Ron Thompson neoprene chest waders in the colder weather,and Grays Goretex stocking foot chest waders when it gets warmer.I have both pairs over eight years and they are in constant use during the game fishing season.Goretex waders are easily punctured and torn but I have had mine professionally repaired by "Diver Dave" and they are now as good as new.Just search against that name on the internet.For my coarse fishing if I need to use chest waders and depending on the weather I use a nylon pair with attached rubber boots which cost about £30 from a well known internet site.You can do many of your own wader repairs with a rubber solution made specifically for this purpose( I think Orvis sell it)
Easy to use and must be stored in the freezer when not being used.
Mark Davies

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

You should also consider a wading staff if you are wading deeper water, I have one which has several sections elasticated together (rather like a tent pole) and fits in to a holster you can attach to your wading belt. The wading belt itself is also a good idea as it prevents a rush of water entering your waders should you stumble. Stay safe!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Deesider

Post by Deesider »

Does anyone know if it's possible to get, or whether anyone makes, the kind of waders that would have been used pre WWII? As far as I know there were boot plus stocking foot waders back in the day, but any vintage examples, being canvass and rubber would have long since perished. I remember in my early days on the river that Ocean rubber chest waders were popular and these are still produced.

On the question of belts, I often double-belt, with one tight belt to keep the air in, should I take a dive.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”