silly questions...

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Tom-Hutmaker

silly questions...

Post by Tom-Hutmaker »

Hi all

Hope you had a great easter break.

Couple of dumb (newbie) questions...

Firstly - what the best way to keep my line secure on my centre pin reel when not in use.? `When finishing with a spool reel in the past i have always tied it off to the arm of the reel. `(Photos please)

Secondly - on the look out for any vintage fishing tackle so where am i best to look and what should i look out for? I haven't got a fortune to spend and Im aim aiming to float fish for tench bream and roach along with a bit of liken and perch fishing this summer. Looking to fish light and love anything old with character! Float wallets, bags, general tackle etc

Lastly anymore suffolk recommendations? Desperate to find so small quiet hotspots local to me! Aiming to avoid big carp fisheries like the plague!!!

many thanks!

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Re: silly questions...

Post by Wagtail »

Welcome Tom - starting off can seem daunting but that's half the fun. The best piece of advice is not to rush, only buy if you are reasonably sure the item is in good condition and, if not, wait because something better will turn up eventually. Quality is always the thing to look for, but a high asking price is no guide to quality! We have all made mistakes along the way and you will too, like I said it is part of the fun. As for your questions...

Q1 - tie a large loop in the end of the line, bring that back over the reel foot and wind tight

Q2 - flea markets, antique shops, car boot sales, online dealers, Ebay, auction houses, vintage shops, charity shops... the list is nearly endless. If you can make the Vintage Tackle Fair in Redditch on May 14th that would be a great place to start as there is lots to look at, play with, get a 'feel for', chat about with like-minded people. You will learn more there in a morning than you would in years hunting elsewhere.

Hope that all helps :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

No silly questions. Forums wouldn't work if no one asked anything.

1: I use the velcro bands that are used to keep cables and wires tidy or a think rubber band for narrow reels.

2: given your budget I'd buy one good rod that would suit any occasion. A Chapmans 500 (or rods described as having an Avon style) would be my choice. You could pick a decent one up for about 100 to 150 and with care it will last you a lifetime and be suited to most fishing styles from small fish to medium carp. Ebay is where I'd start. Although the rules prohibit the linking of eBay items to the forum, you should seek out some of the more knowledgeable members in reels, rods, etc and seek their advice through the PM tool.

Hope that helps.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

An advantage of buying on eBay is that you are relatively protected and you should only bid on items that allow you to return the item if it's not as described. If you buy at auction you may have the advantage of viewing the item first but can't return it if you later find some defect.

As noted above if you can make Redditch you'll see a lot of stuff, which is a great way to learn about it. When I decided to buy a cane carp rod about 30 odd years ago I was a student and had zero money so I spent a couple of years looking and longing. Once I had the funds I realised that I was looking at items with a very critical eye and I realised that those two years hadn't been wasted. You don't need to wait as long as I did but I'd say don't be in too much of a hurry.

I've bought a few items the taught me a lesson.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Hi Tom,
Great, sound advice from those above.
The only thing I would add is to carry on asking questions, figure out what you want. There are to many choices other wise. Narrow it down, ask more questions and you will find things much more manageable.
As said. Redditch is a good place to start.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

JAA

Post by JAA »

Tom-Hutmaker wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:01 pm Hi all

Hope you had a great easter break.

Couple of dumb (newbie) questions...

Firstly - what the best way to keep my line secure on my centre pin reel when not in use.? `When finishing with a spool reel in the past i have always tied it off to the arm of the reel. `(Photos please)
There are no dumb questions. :Hat:

I bore a 0.8mm hole in the lip of the reel spool with a pin-vice and once de-burred, thread the line through it.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I just use a rubber band.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:46 am I just use a rubber band.
Me too.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

On a centrepin take the spool off and secure line with an elastic band around the spool. Some spools are quite narrow and it is a job trying to put your fingers in to grasp the band to remove, so tie a little loop in the end to grab hold of. As regards a rod, buy one that is a bit beefier than what you need, you will get used to using it and can see and feel the failings or advantages. You can then make a judgement as to what you need in the future. Most of my rods have come from boot sales for very little money to be honest and I have loved doing a little bit of work on them, catching that first fish on a rod you have renovated yourself is an experience to treasure. As others have said a visit to one of the tackle fairs would cut a lot of corners and I myself will visit one, one day!!

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Stathamender wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:57 am
Dave Burr wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:46 am I just use a rubber band.
Me too.
And me.

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”