12 foot avon style rod?

This forum is for recording rod taper specifications.
Kevanf1
Arctic Char

12 foot avon style rod?

Post by Kevanf1 »

Having just missed out on the very nice 12 foot avon style rod that Lee was selling on eBay :( does anybody know of a manufacturer who made such a rod please? There are plenty of 10 and 11 foot cane avon rods out there but I just prefer to use a 12 foot rod. Perhaps somebody has the taper specifications for a 12 foot avon or avon style rod? Again, I would prefer this to be fully built or split cane not part whole and part split. A slight difference to the avon style in a stiffer butt (ala Chapman's 500/550) would be fine.

Any ideas please?
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: 12 foot avon style rod?

Post by Nobby »

You might consider the ridiculously under-rated Modern Arms 'Test' at 12 feet. A bit heavy to hold all day, though I have done chasing margin tench, they are a little thicker in the butt than other rods and have plenty of power for larger fish. It's a straight taper and starts off at the usual tip ring size, but goes to a slightly thicker than usual cane at the handle.

This gives it a progressive action, a powerful butt and the length, at 12 feet, to cast some distance.

Modern Arms, or Marco as they later called themselves, were one of the first firms to invest in milling machines, probably about the time they moved from the Elephant and Castle to Bromley on the London border, technically in Kent.

These milling machines mean the cane sections are perfect and I've never seen a glue line on a Marco. Neither is the cane poor quality, on the contrary I've yet to see a Marco take a set, unless horribly ill-cared for.

For some inexplicable reason Marco rods don't command a high price and they often sell quite cheaply on eBay.

Do be aware though....a 12 foot cane rod is not a light thing and you'll want a pair of rod rests :Wink:

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I'd agree about Marco rods, I had a Medway Deluxe, I sold it on as I got hold of a Chapmans Hunter, it is a quality rod though. Dawsons of Bromley made some 12ft versions of the Sabina or Sabrina, I've got one of these awaiting restoration, but it would be worthy of consideration.

RightCharlie
Ruffe

Post by RightCharlie »

Andrew Davis has a new 'The Nottingham Style - Roach Rod' not quite 12 foot at 11' 9" but hollow built so lighter than a full built cane.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I have a 12' Test and can readily echo Nobby's words... it is a bit of a beast... the tip section is quite soft but the middle and butt are where the power lies. And has been said, they are heavy to hold... more for ledgering rather than float work... although they will trot a float, they are a bit slow on the strike due to the softer tip and they are not for the weak of arm to float fish all day with.... a good solid rod :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I would agree.Marco are rods are first class in every way.I use a 12' and 10'6" Test and another Marco Avon style rod which has no model name on it.They can handle large chub and barbel but the tips are very sensitive enough to deal with smaller species.They can still be picked up at reasonable prices.
Mark Davies

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Here is my Test in action with some smaller carp at a local commercial
and the culprit...!
The rod was rebuilt by Steve Boncey of this parish... it was an auction site purchase of £35 ish pounds and was just about usable when I got it.... one quality rebuild later and it got christened on the Wye with some hard fighting Chub on the Red Lion stretch above the bridge... :Thumb: :Hat:

addendum... a pic of the butt section and transfers...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Nobby wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:04 am These milling machines mean the cane sections are perfect and I've never seen a glue line on a Marco.
Just as a general point of interest I have read that one of the tricks of the trade when milling strips is to mill the angles slighly oversized to make sure that there are no glue lines. Oversized angles mean that the outer apexes of the strips will always meet up and the slight gap that results is on the inner surfaces of the rod and provides space for glue to move into. Anywhere up to 62° is what I have seen quoted.

I'll get my anorak now :whistle:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I had wondered about that but wouldn't it be an utter nightmare to glue up true? Like holding a bag of snakes.....

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Has anyone noticed that the original post is 4 years old ?

Return to “Rod Taper Archive”