Good Evening from Bethnal Green

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Pelj54
Minnow

Re: Good Evening from Bethnal Green

Post by Pelj54 »

Richard Jackson wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:25 pm Welcome to the TFF Perry ,you will enjoy it here and the members are so knowledgable and always willing to help
Thank you Richard

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Six pages on a welcome post? You seem to have hit the ground running :Happy: Enjoy the website, it's a great place.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have just read your lovely introduction, welcome to the forum and it seems 1954 was a good year indeed. :Hat:

Pelj54
Minnow

Post by Pelj54 »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:53 am Six pages on a welcome post? You seem to have hit the ground running :Happy: Enjoy the website, it's a great place.
Thank you Dave,
Out of courtesy,I decided to thank any member who welcomed me individually,so 6 pages is misleading and not so impressive, as half the posts are my replies :) But I am delighted to recieve so many warm and encouraging greetings.

Pelj54
Minnow

Post by Pelj54 »

Reedling wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:08 pm I have just read your lovely introduction, welcome to the forum and it seems 1954 was a good year indeed. :Hat:
Thank you Reeding

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

A warm welcome to TFF, as a country boy back in the 1940's I felt privileged to help the young East End anglers to understand the countryside, many would come down for the hop picking where of course they tried fishing, becoming very good anglers, I fished with many of them in the 50's and 60's on the match circuit who were often members of the LAA of which I'm still a member. If you feel I can be of any help please just ask, enjoy TFF it a great forum Regards Martin

Pelj54
Minnow

Post by Pelj54 »

Martin James wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:45 am A warm welcome to TFF, as a country boy back in the 1940's I felt privileged to help the young East End anglers to understand the countryside, many would come down for the hop picking where of course they tried fishing, becoming very good anglers, I fished with many of them in the 50's and 60's on the match circuit who were often members of the LAA of which I'm still a member. If you feel I can be of any help please just ask, enjoy TFF it a great forum Regards Martin
/quote]

Thank you Martin,
That is a lovely story and brought back memories of my own childhood.In the late 50s early 60s my family used to travel down to a place called Plucks Gutter in Kent where one of my Aunts had a caravan.The adults would go off every day to pick hops for the local farmer and in the evening they gathered in the onsite pub, the Dog and Duck.I was a bit too young to help aged 5 or 6,fortunately the river Stour and Little Stour ran through the site, so i spent most days annoying the fishermen ,and caught my first ever skimmer bream on a borrowed rod.
There must be many Eastenders of that era grateful for your help to this day and thank you for extending it to me.

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Welcome to the TFF Perry

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

Perry Yes, we become friends with all the kids, if a boy wanted to learn how to snare rabbits, catch fish, or learn to shoot we taught them all we could, though we were bombed heavily it was nothing like what the London boys and girls suffered, also their poor housing they had to put up with, we boys were lucky to live where we did, even though our house was destroyed by a Doodle Bug. I made many friend with lads and a few girls from around the Camberwell and Bermondsey’ we would meet up in our late teens early twenties for rock & roll nights or visit the jazz clubs, what great times they were, many of the anglers would come down on the train for a weekend stopping in my house. I reckon my mum thought she was running a café at times, the next weekend three friends and myself I would go up the “Smoke” as we called to fish the Thames and go off to Ronnie Scott’s jazz club. Ref the Gutter if the tide was ebbing it was good for skimmers, lots of goer roach in the winter, I was lucky to win a few matches on the Gutter. I towards the end of the 1950's used to rent about a mile of the Little Stour at Wye for Perppercorn rent of 1 guinea = 21 shillings or £1-10p good trout in spring, but great roach fishing in winter with 2lb roach caught each winter on lob tails, bread crust or flake. Great times.

Pelj54
Minnow

Post by Pelj54 »

SkimmingTheCream wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:26 pm Welcome to the TFF Perry
Thank you

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”