Help identifying a Milbro?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Help identifying a Milbro?

Post by Vole »

I had a great opening day session with a rod that looks very much like a Milbro 10'6" bottom rod, and I'd really like to find out what it is. It's much stronger than the Competitor or Valiant; like them, it has the whole cane middle and joint, split cane tip configuration of the basic "Bottom rod", but the tip tapers to 4mm across flats, which is brutal. The handle is short, with a "Milbro" button and tapered sleeve, just fourteen inches of cork, and a tapered winding check. The three inches of cork at the top of the handle swell, so the reel fittings can only run on the bottom eleven inches. The fittings are aluminium, therefore well post-war, I'd have thought, and the lower one is "pinched" in the characteristic Milbro fashion.
I love it to bits; the short handle makes even chublets feel huge, yet chub to four pounds and barbel to seven troubled it not a whit.
Does anyone have any ideas what model it might be, please?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Help identifying a Milbro?

Post by Vole »

Bumping this - early on the first Sunday of the season was probably not the best time to ensure this post was spotted by anyone with a set of old Milbro catalogues!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”