Some old lures and a eefego hook wallet

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
MarkG
Grayling

Some old lures and a eefego hook wallet

Post by MarkG »

Had a good tidy up of my fishing store yesterday, it was a mess, things just get chucked into bags and boxes. I came across these two lures, I don't know how old they are. A hi-lo Abu plug, a <bete> Swedish Kilodil spinner. Both a bit bashed about. Plus this eefgeco wallet. I cannot quite make out the name on the Swedish lure, I think its Kilodil or something like it.
hi lo lure 1.jpg
eefego hook wallet.jpg
kilodil lure.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Some old lures and a eefego hook wallet

Post by Vole »

I suspect it's Krokodil. Plenty of images on Google.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

You right Vole with the spelling.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

The fact they're still in production and selling at nine or ten Euros a pop suggests they're pretty good, doesn't it?

Nice hook wallet, too - were there any vintage hooks or packets inside? Eminently useable as well as collectable.

The Hi-lo poses lots of questions, doesn't it? The rear hook appears to be held on by a twist of wire that I wouldn't trust at all, while the home-made hook anchor for the belly hook seems to be deliberately offset from the body by quite a distance - why replace trebles with such long-shanked singles? Was the owner inspired by the "Baited spoon" idea, and trying to fish a natural or jelly worm on them? And if so, did it work?
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

I think the sublime hook configuration on the hi-lo was down to me. I found this when sorting out my gear, first time for years and it was at the bottom of a box. I guess I found it without trebles originally and decided to put these on as I had no trebles; initiative with a small i. The screws have gone rusty, I don't know whether to attempt to remove them and clean them and put trebles on.
The wallet had some old sea hooks in them and they have gone a bit rusty so I have taken them out and not sure whether to try to clean the wallet with some white spirit.
The hi-lo and the krokodill need a repaint but that would be stretching my initiative a bit far!.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I'm not sure about attacking aged plastic with white spirit - my instinct would be that anything that didn't come off with warm, soapy water and a gentle wipe was "part of its history". Then again, I am a slob.
In similar vein, I'd just brasso the inside curve of the Krok and see if it still works!

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Re your Efgeeco wallet, Mr Muscle (Orange spray bottle) is ok to use for a clean if you have some. Just tried mine again to make sure and all was OK...nothing turned sticky or dissolved!

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

I dont have Mr Muscle or much cleaning stuff so, I think I will give it a go with some soapy water-sounds the safest bet.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

MarkG wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:05 pm I dont have Mr Muscle or much cleaning stuff so, I think I will give it a go with some soapy water-sounds the safest bet.
:Thumb: Sounds good. :Hat:

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”