Tadpole Bridge, Oxfordshire

This forum belongs to the River Thames.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Tadpole Bridge, Oxfordshire

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Rusty wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:52 pm Having stumbled across the access arrangements for Tadpole Angling Club on the ‘net I joined up last week and ‘walked’ the stretch yesterday. I decided not to take the rods as although the weather was beautiful for a leisurely stroll around I wouldn’t have wanted to sit in one spot for too long, two hardy anglers (Steve and Keith) were doing just that but under the shade of trees, very sensible. It’s a lovely venue and that weirpool looks so enticing, I also like the fact that you don’t need a 4x4 to drive the length of the fishery. Looking forward to some cooler weather and more visits.

Steve and Keith, did you catch anything?
DeIighted to have met another TFFer - we, as a group, are certainly putting in an appearance at Tadpole Bridge. I am afraid we blanked BUT we did put the world to rights sitting in the shade watching limp lines. A short session spinning in the weir pool at 5.30pm still found it too hot for me and when I got in the car at 6.30pm the temperature in the vehicle was 36.5 and outside a mere 28.5. Have a look on the Journals under Bumble, Luckyluca and Pershore Harrier where some of the inhabitants of Tadpole Bridge are displayed.

All the best - Keith (aka Pershore Harrier)

Rusty
Ruffe

Post by Rusty »

Yes it was good to meet up and learn a bit about that stretch Keith. I see that most Saturdays are allocated to matches with the peg draw taking place at 2:00pm in the summer months. Assuming most competitors arrive at 1:00pm can we still fish the venue in the morning or is it best to avoid match days altogether? The club rules aren't clear on this point.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Hi Rusty,
Nice to meet you on Sunday. Sorry we didnt venture out to far but that sun would have fried us!
It looks like Tadpole may become a little bit of a TFF retreat. That's six of us who are members now.
I'm not sure regards match day fishing not having tried it. I would think it ok, just be prepared to move as they would have priority.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

I would be interested in joining the Tadpole Angling club. A Ex Chief Tech I served with in the RAF is in the Club and fishes It a bit. He was fishing with another ex RAF angler I know called "baggy" before the end of the last season and the pictures they put on facebook brought back happy memories of the stretch of river. I think they blanked that day though!

Peg two at Rushy Weir used to be a Bream peg. They were tucked right in against the wall on the far side, which was a quite a chuck on the feeder and no hope on the waggler. One of the Brize Norton Team A Anglers won the RAF Chaps from that Peg in 97 I believe.

I blew out in the same match and was pegged on the dead stretch, down past the pub almost a mile. Had a couple of pounds of bits and pieces plus a Silver Bream, (or Hybrid) I think.

Hope the signal crayfish have not caused too much of a mess...

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have fished Tadpole Bridge maybe 6 or 7 times since last June regularly using Luncheon Meat and Prawns as bait and not a sign of a Crayfish I am delighted to say. Looking at the size of some of the Chub I think I know where a lot of Crayfish ended their days.

Rusty
Ruffe

Post by Rusty »

Had my first try at Tadpole yesterday. I wanted to fish the weirpool but somebody was in peg 1, I suggested I'd fish peg 2 but he said it was too close (despite there being two swims pegged 1 & 2 which I guess are used in matches). There's plenty of water and I didn't want to argue so I moved further down and had some chunky dace, reasonable perch and some chublets all on totted red maggot. The wind made it difficult to control the float so I tried ledgered lobs, had a few perch on those and thankfully no signals. My worm did come back with that crinkly look on occasions so I'm not totally convinced that the signals have gone but they certainly weren't a problem.

It's a lovely venue and with current low water levels there are some great wading swims which open up trotting under far bank trees. Won't be long before I go back.

Mark_N
Bleak

Post by Mark_N »

Hi folks

I visited the trout inn today which re kindled my interest in fishing upper Thames. I'd quite like to have a few sessions there.
Could someone PM me contact details for the club please?

Thanks

Mark
There are 2 types of people in this world.... those that "get" fishing .... and those that don't

Mark_N
Bleak

Post by Mark_N »

Thanks to those of you who PM'd me I now have the information.... Just need to sort out a permit now :-)
There are 2 types of people in this world.... those that "get" fishing .... and those that don't

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I have just joined Tadpole Bridge angling club.
Who else on here is a member?
Plan to go next week. :)
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Snape wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:09 pm I have just joined Tadpole Bridge angling club.
Who else on here is a member?
Plan to go next week. :)
Bumble, lucky Luca, Pershore Harrier all are, I dropped out this season, as it is a bit far to travel.

Return to “River Thames”