My First Attempt at Flavouring Luncheon Meat

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mark
Head Bailiff

My First Attempt at Flavouring Luncheon Meat

Post by Mark »

Well here is my first ever attempt at flavouring my own luncheon meat always preferring to use it at it comes straight from the tin.

Although the River Soar has a few barbel in it (to 14lb) I have not set my heart on catching one so I will not be too disappointed. This experiment is really aimed at the chub as there are a few more of these about but if a barbel does decide to turn up it will be more than welcomed. I have caught a good few barbel from the River Teme back in the 90's but never one from the River Soar, to be honest I don't think they were any in the Soar in the 90's. So if this experiment produces my first Soar barbel and/or first five pound chub I will be a very very content man.

Step 1.
I purchased four flavourings in powder format, cumin, coriander, turmeric and chilli and mixed these in equal parts (three tea spoons of each) into a small tub and then gave it a good shake, it does smell rather nice chaps. The wife spotted me doing this and duly pulled a madras power out of the food cupboard and pointed out that everything that I had purchased was already in there, don't you just love them bless her. I might use the madras powder on its own in week or so.

Step 2.
I normally cut my luncheon meat into cubes of various sizes but again wanting to be a little different I purchased two of these Seymo Lunch Punches which seem to be very hard to get hold of but I found two in 16mm and 20mm sizes, maybe I should look in the food cupboard bless her. The plan is to punch a few three inch lengths of luncheon meat and break them off at various lengths, pop then in a bag and add some of mixed powder, shake it up and freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw etc. Hopefully these punches will arrive tomorrow and I can continue with step 3.

Step 3.....
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: My First Attempt at Flavouring Luncheon Meat

Post by Duebel »

It will be interesting to see whether it's worth the effort!

Please tell your wife 'schöne grüße' from me. When I read what powders you were mixing, I thought, why doesn't Mark just take some ready made madras ... :whistle:
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

The makings of a nice Friday night curry there Mark! I normally just break my meat into random sized rough chunks, more surface area and (I think) looks less suspect to wary fish. :Hat:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

You could also fry the cylinders in the spices which would toughen them up a little and give them a skin :Hat:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I use smoked hot paprika powder and it certainly works for me. I tear the meat up in to chunks as I prefer random shapes, sprinkle the powder on in the bag, freeze and I then have a really good bait which has served me well for years.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I must say I have always tried to avoid uniform hook bait shapes. Even the humble round boiled paste baits that I use to deter some species, I nibble away at to alter the shape.
More fun blending your own Mark and less chance of being copied when you stumble across that special blend of 'Mark's Soar Sore Lip Special'.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

For barbel I just use a bit of plastic tube (which is about 20mm diameter) to punch the meat from the tin. The whole cylinder (about 3" long) then goes onto a very short hair-rig and I rough-up the end so it doesn't look too uniform in shape. The hair is only used to avoid hooking too many chub from the swim before the barbel start feeding. It doesn't stop the chub having a go at the bait, but because of the way they 'mouth' it (as opposed to a barbel 'sucking' it in) I seem to get fewer chub disturbing the barbel. Of course if you want to catch both species.....
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:31 am More fun blending your own Mark and less chance of being copied when you stumble across that special blend of 'Mark's Soar Sore Lip Special'.
I like it Shaun, possibly a future QuestBaits product. :Chuckle:

Step 3.
The bag on the left is the punched luncheon meat and the bag on the right are Bockwurst, each bag has three teaspoons of 'Mark's Soar Sore Lip Special'. Possibly should have used madras for one of them so I have two choices, next time.

I will leave them a couple of hours as they are then pop them in the freezer, take them out of the freezer tomorrow morning, back in the freezer tomorrow afternoon and back out a again Saturday morning.

Step 4.
Lets see if they work on Saturday, not looking forward to yellowy orange fingers but its a small price to pay if they work. :shocked:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Nice one, I am sure they will work well for you

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Looks good enough to eat! Never tried spam curry, now theres an idea!!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”