K and A Devizes

This forum belong to the other Canals.
EdNash
Rudd

K and A Devizes

Post by EdNash »

Well yesterday afternoon was my second outing on my local muddy ditch. Sadly no tincas as yet, I usually have 4 or 5 in a session but they are very elusive this year.However, I did have some lovely roach and bream just on bread flake.

I used a rod I haven't used in ages , my Chapmans Hunter, a bit heavy for the roach I know. The tip section has got quite a droop now but still handled the bigger bream well, lovely action.

If any of you are visiting this stretch avoid the Black Horse pound as this was flooded out last year by a disgruntled boater, the fish all went south, but the benefit is that you can go in the pub for a very mediocre pint of Wadworths IPA or 6x.

Cheers Ed.

Reedling
Catfish

Re: K and A Devizes

Post by Reedling »

Have you ever tried the pools at the side of the Caen hill lock system. We went for a walk up there a little while back and the top one by the café looked like it had quite a few fish topping. My son who used to work on the narrow boats there and said that the chaps used to catch a fair bit down by Foxhanger. My son cycles along that area quite regular and he loves it.. shame I cannot get him to take a more serious interest in dangling.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Yes, I have fished them but it is frowned upon by the local club and waterways staff. A few years ago they were all netted to try and encourage weed growth and bring back the ducks etc but this has failed dismally, only a few tufted duck now.
It is good for light spinning for jacks and perch great fun.
Incidentally, the decent fished that were netted were "taken away" to more deserving waters. Gone the same way as the once glorious head of crucians.
The pounds at the bottom are very good, foxhangers The Pile and others.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

I only live around 20 miles from Devizes and go walking along the K & A Canal a few times a year. Always fancied fishing the Wide Part sometime, and have been meaning to give it a go. Many years ago I fished at Semmington a few times and had Nice Tench, Bream and Perch. My local Canal is the Wilts and Berks in Wootton Bassett. No where near as good, but I can walk to it from my house.

Have you every fished the K & A up around Kintbury? There seems to be a nice stretch there with a stream you can fish if you join Kintbury Anglers. I was reading about it today on the Internet.

Return to “Other Canals”