Abu model 70a champagne cup

The ABU Reels forum.
Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Abu model 70a champagne cup

Post by Black Prince »

For anyone interested this is the Abu model 70a champagne cup as you will see the rotor cup is a champagne colour rather than the brown flecked version it was made June 1978 its nearly mint and boxed ImageImageImageImage :Hat: mike

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Re: Abu model 70a champagne cup

Post by Black Prince »

I forgot to say that the rotor gear is brass Image

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Hi Mike, thanks for posting the pictures, hope you will forgive me for saying this but the rotor looks a lot newer than the side plate on the reel which kinda lets it down with all those marks on it, for sure its a great find and would love to see it in real time for sure.
Yes I see there are small marks on the rotor but that paint was so weak you could rub it off with your finger, I was expecting to see more rub marks than those little chips, just an honest opinion no offence intended. :Scared:
I have my reasons for asking trust me :Hat:

Sorry had to say when you mentioned the gear you said the rotor gear, did you mean the main gear that looks like this one? or the rotating axle that leads to the head of the reel.?

Image Image
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

The reel was bought 12 months ago the side plate does look older but it's gold splatters from the factory it just looks old on the pictures[img]

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Iam having trouble taking pictures at the moment keep hitting the green man dosnt go to camera will post some soon as I can mike :Hat:

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

The photos ImageImage :Hat: mike

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

The reel was bought as a Abu cardinal never was it mentioned that it had a champagne cup only when looking on Marco s site I realised what it was no attempt at deceiving me at allImageImage tImage this is the side plate when cleaned with wd40 it's never been cleaned befor Image. ImageAnything more I can do let me know :Hat: mike

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Ok Mike, good pictures, have to say I was expecting to see brass main gear in there not a zinc one but still a rare reel, I have seen the 40A and 60A reels with the champagne rotor but not the 70A, one trouble is they all come from the same German collector, be great to see more of these reels maybe mint in box and from some other collectors, I have a great friend in Japan, will ask him what he thinks about them, if he doesn't know nobody will.

Have to say its better in the flesh to see reels like this and compare it to other champagne reels like the Cardinal 3 and 4 but what you have there does look nice, a great find for sure

Talking with Marco the other day I can reveal he is talking of doing another book later this year, it has many updates on his last book so may have some more of these reels in it. Im hoping it will be an all new style of book as he has a new printer.

Going to be another limited run of books so keep your eyes peeled for more on this books availability. :cheers:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Thanks for all your input beechmere lake it actually came from a dealer in Scotland I was surprised he didn't know what it was about £40 I need another so bought this one any other things I can help with let me know :Hat: mike

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

By the way i am not collector of reels by any means :Hat: mike

Return to “ABU Reels”