Minimal tackle box

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Slumption
Bleak

Minimal tackle box

Post by Slumption »

Hi all,
One thing I've found is unburdening yourself from carrying all of your stuff 'just in case' makes fishing far more enjoyable. What I'd like to know is what's in your essentials/minimal tackle box? I think ditching the chair is the key though and I admire those that can just go with a small tin in their pocket.

Most of my sessions are evening into night on one of several rivers so I take a box containing:

hooks 8 - 16
Split shot
7 or 8 floats (margin use and night floats)
3 or 4 feeders (small block end/cage)
3 or 4 small bombs
8lb fluro (I get a lot of eels at night)
My 1980's Optonic (this only comes out in the event of heavy eyelids)
Two homemade bobbins
A pack of star lights
Leger beads
Leger stops
Small swivels
A fluro 20lb trace with a large single on it and two pike traces plus one zander night float

Paul

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Minimal tackle box

Post by Olly »

Ditching a seat can be very dangerous in some areas! In the New Forest there are the 'can-be' deadly ticks carrying Lyme's!

Lyme's disease, which I understand Martin Bowler suffered from - with thanks to his Facebook page:- Martin Bowler. June 7, 2013 ·
Last night I found two ticks crawling over me and fortunately got them off before they could attach to me. I have had Lyme disease which they can carry and it's not pleasant to say the least with long term damage possible. So be careful out fishing this weekend and if you do find one on you tell the doctor ASAP.

A strong pesticide can reduce the possibility of bites and a 'tick remover' from a vet surgery invaluable.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great idea to unburden oneself with unnecessary tackle!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Ah ... the search to go fishing with the barest minimum tackle. Always intrigues me. Then again we all love fishing tackle. Fly fishermen seem to have it right ...only problem is I don't fly fish

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

If you know your water and conditions its very easy to remove the burden of carrying excessive stuff.
I ask how much stuff do you need to fish a know peg with a predetermined technique.
Rod ,reel,couple of floats just in case and end tackle and a net of course.
I take a rucksack seat if I am not sitting it makes for a bait tray.
I can understand match anglers carrying more stuff as they ave no idea which peg they will fish. And need to cover more eventualities.
Pleasure fishing can be different.

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

I have no choice because I have to use a electric trolley so I take every thing not very traditional a electric trolley but it's the only way I can go fishing I don't get so far these days 500 yards is about my limit my rods and reels are traditional though and my other bits 57years old and I would not pass a mot but I can still get fishing :fishing1: mike

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

My problem Paul, is that while I have minimized the tackle side of my fishing, the space saved in my Hardy Carryall is now taken up with floats, plus a pair of vintage opera glasses, insect repellent pump spray, a handy screw on cutting blade and wet wipes!
This little MYRAN box measures 3.25" x 4.25" and I can highly recommend them.

Tackle box.jpg

Stour Otter

I think the "wet wipes" could be an age thing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stour Otter on Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

With my knees letting me know about it, I've lightened out my kit... the whole lot fits into a small rucksack/creel now, even down to just a few floats a few hook packets and some split shot and leads, few swivels and bits... I always struggled to get bait box, a flask and sarnie in my creel, now they rattle about....
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I go through stages of whittling it all down but it then seems to grow. My plan now is to put the surface fishing kit in a tin in the car that I can liberate it when needed. I find it's the 'support items' that are the bulkiest.

In my small pack for carp fishing are:
Small tube with three floats and two baiting needles
Tiny digital scales (used about once a year)
Braid for hook length
Two packs of hooks
A plastic container with a few spare float rubbers, swivels and a couple of scalpel blades
A few nymphing style strike indicators
Braid scissors
Curved tip forceps
Klinik carp care wound solution
A small bottle of anti-bacterial gel
A reel

Other than the reel I'm considering putting the above into a fly fishing style waistcoat and putting the reel in my basket.

In reserve in the car
Factor 50 sun tan cream (always applied at home before fishing but I take extra with me)
Second reel

Small tin of surface fishing bits:
Two controllers
Spool of Fluorocarbon
Floating putty
Pack of hooks
Line floatant

My basket contains
A bait tub for hemp etc
A bait tin for luncheon meat
A weigh sling
Three tea towels

The basket doubles up as my 'rod-pod'. I fish at a tackle unfriendly mature gravel pit. You can't get bank sticks into the ground so a rod pod of some sort is necessary. I considered a Korum accessory chair but thought it too heavy.

Since it's been mentioned I'm going to ask my GP to test for Lymes. I've been ill for years. We have lots of dear around here including in my garden and my cat spends a lot of time sleeping on me. So it is possible that I have it.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Tench Dreamer wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:07 pm Ah ... the search to go fishing with the barest minimum tackle. Always intrigues me. Then again we all love fishing tackle. Fly fishermen seem to have it right ...only problem is I don't fly fish
The fly fisher travel light myth. I very well remember a trip to Ireland with two fishing friends (fly fishing only). When we arrived at the cottage and unpacked the car we realized there is something wrong. The place was full with dozens of fly boxes, fly tying stuff, nets, waders, wading boots, wading jackets, wading staffs, wading I don't know, fly lines of all sorts, floating, sinking, fast sinking, hover, intermediate, sink tip, salt water, you dream it. It was the beginning of a simpler way of fishing for me. It was just rediculous.
I try to get everything in one bag when travelling, and in a rucksack for s days fishing now. Fly and coarse. Bobby

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”