Lobworms

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Troydog
Tench

Lobworms

Post by Troydog »

With the unsettled weather here in the west, its time to watch out for that mild, calm, wet evening when you can collect one hundred lobworms in half an hour. It wont be long before the big shoals of Wye perch start to move into their Autumn quarters and then there is nothing quite like trotting down with the pin and watching the float disappear. No messing, it just sinks........
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Lobworms

Post by Snape »

Sounds like a dream Troydog, I wish I lived a bit nearer to the Wye. One day....
I find going to a local playing field on a mild, damp night can be yield vast numbers of lobs in very little time.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Troydog
pm sent

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you Snape - tonight's the night. Its been raining all day in Hereford......
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Troydog wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:28 pm Thank you Snape - tonight's the night. Its been raining all day in Hereford......
Yes. I'll be out at the village cricket pitch after dark tonight. :Scared:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hello, an old post but here's my solution for collecting worms, if I don't find enough of them on a wet footpath on dark nights, I have now dug out two old ditches they are probably decades old and full of rotten leaf matter and what else might be in there.
Initially the hard work was digging them out but now that's been done they just needs turning over now and then or when I collect them, each one produces enough worms for several sessions, I simply rotate between ditches and I always have fresh bait.
Have to be careful because you never know what's in there to start off with, a good session will provide one pound in weight of various sized red and lob worms, they don't need looking after feeding or anything as they are in the propper environment to start with the supply never stops as new ones move in all the time. since I started digging in ditches I never looked back and certainly don't buy any.

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

It’s a shame that I don’t have the time or location any longer to collect them.
On the right night I’d get well over a hundred.

And just to make your eyes water I’ve just ordered some from WIllyWorms near to Selby ..

Delivered including VAT £28.77 for 150 lobs ..

Yes it’s ridiculous, barmy and unnecessary but I’d struggle to get enough to take me through to the end of the season.

Bendsomecane
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Snape wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:23 pm
Troydog wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:28 pm Thank you Snape - tonight's the night. Its been raining all day in Hereford......
Yes. I'll be out at the village cricket pitch after dark tonight. :Scared:
When younger we used to go to the village cricket pitch and turn the tap on which was under a hatch in the middle of the pitch leaving it to flood we then used to go collecting the lobs that night
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

BendSomeCane wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:20 pm It’s a shame that I don’t have the time or location any longer to collect them.
On the right night I’d get well over a hundred.

And just to make your eyes water I’ve just ordered some from WIllyWorms near to Selby ..

Delivered including VAT £28.77 for 150 lobs ..

Yes it’s ridiculous, barmy and unnecessary but I’d struggle to get enough to take me through to the end of the season.

At our old property we used to get hundreds of lobs but in our new property i have tried flooding the garden and never seen a lob , must be the wrong type of soil

Bendsomecane
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I am taking some lobs for swim tomorrow that I bought in mid December by mail order from Tommy Topsoil. They can be kept for a long time with care, so there is no need for any waste. Wish me luck!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”