Aspindales 898 "The Avon"

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Aspindales 898 "The Avon"

Post by Danny Boy »

my fellow pisators I am once again in need of some assistance
I have winging its way to me a Aspindales 898 the Avon rod ,whole cane butt and middle split cane tip ,but I can not seem to find any information on or about the rod in hand ,and do any of you have one ,and what are they like to use.

I have a few piccys,i will put up better ones when the rod arrives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Aspindales 898 "The Avon"

Post by Nobby »

I'd guess that rod was made between 1946 when the company was started by two brothers, William and James. They went their separate ways in 1949 after which James, whose fine handwriting that is with the unique capital 'A', called his rods by the Aspindale 'Dalesman' brand.

There appear to have been a couple of Avon rods by the company, 896 and 898 models, though confusingly the 896 seems to also have been offered with a built cane butt section....I've seen two such.

The man who puts an Aspindale catalogue in my hand will never want for beer again! :Hat:

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

nobby ,I see mal has a split cane on his website an avon 892 ,I thought I might have found the one I got on there :read:
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

I have an Avon 898 whole cane butt and middle joint, with spliced in builte cane tip.Thankfully mine isn't whipped with pink silk, its lovely rod for roach, perch, dace, grayling species, though I have had chub to 3lbs, Colin Culley (Bumble) sourced my rod for me its in excellent condition. . Enjoy fishing with it Danny Boy.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I too have an Aspindale Avon or 2 ------.

I have two of these - 11ft 2 joint whole cane butt section - top section section with split cane spliced in. I think that preceded the Avon shown.

A 12ft whole cane butt and middle with split cane tip - which I also have marked 'Avon 2'!

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

I have one these ...it is a peach of a rod,normally fished with a Aerial or Ambidex.It always feel so right in the hand.
It will take some stick I have had Trent pike up to around 12lb test its curve as they grab a roach as I reel it in and then lead me a merry dance .
Enjoy your purchase.

All the best
Nige.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”