Ferrule removal on a Test

The Modern Arms Company Rods forum.
Galician
Ruffe

Ferrule removal on a Test

Post by Galician »

Some months ago I purchased A Test that required a full refurb. Examined the Rod on arrival to look for delamination, good tight ferrules etc, but did not assemble the Rod, big mistake and lesson learned. Completed the refurb and it looked beautiful, very pleased. Assembled the Rod only to find that the top joint veered of quite alarmingly. On very close inspection I found that the male ferrule had been reglued some time in its past, but not accurately, I would guess 1 or 2 degrees out only, but over the length of the Rod it made a significant difference. Only one option, remove the ferrule and reglue accurately. Now I have been trying to do this all afternoon with no luck, using the traditional hot and cold method, it will simply not budge. I have noticed however that there are two v's where the ferrule had been pinched at the cane end and this is probably stopping me with the removal.
It seems my only option is to cut along the length of the ferrule and remove it and replace, but I am very reluctant to do this because I like to keep every thing original to the Rod. With the collective knowledge of the Forum I hope a member can advice me a method that could potentialy work?

A very exasperated GALICIAN :hairpull:

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Re: Ferrule removal on a Test

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs - but have you checked for a pin?

Cheers
Steve

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

You can take a ferrule kink out by heating the cane just above the ferrule and bending it so that the tip is back in line with the joint. It's quite easy to do and may well save you a lot of work.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Hows about start again on the tip section and re-whip the rings so the tip section points up, the weight of the tip and rings will probably not show any upwards angle. Try it first before you take the rings off.

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

i had trouble removing a male tip ferrule today, took a good look first and found it was pinned, warmed it up and it would not shift, ended up drilling the cane out only to find it was pinned in two places.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: Ferrule removal on a Testy

Post by Penninelad »

A tip I was given about re fitting a ferrule.If the ferrule is fitted straight on to the cane and is just knocking stick some electric tape across the join,gently cut the tape on the join with a sharp knife and pull apart.Take the ferrule and apply epoxy.fit ferrule back on making sure two ends of the electric tape match.Wipe off excess epoxy and leave tape on until epoxy has dried.This ensures the ferrule is refitted exactly as it was before.I hope my explanation is clear?
Mark Davies

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Here's a tip from Shedmonkey :rock: who helped me remove a stuck ferrule. It took 20 mins to make this simple device and it worked beautifully.

You can actually make a ferrule pulling tool in a range of common sizes by taking a couple of bars of either hardwood, ally or brass (or even perspex) and clamping them together with some card between them and drilling a series of holes in your desired sizes vertically down the join between the two bars.

I gently clamped the two bars together with a "G" clamp to grip the ferrule in the appropriate size hole, mounted the whole assembly in a vice, heated the ferrule with a hot air stripper and pulled the cane towards me. It popped off with very little effort!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:44 am Here's a tip from Shedmonkey :rock: who helped me remove a stuck ferrule. It took 20 mins to make this simple device and it worked beautifully.

You can actually make a ferrule pulling tool in a range of common sizes by taking a couple of bars of either hardwood, ally or brass (or even perspex) and clamping them together with some card between them and drilling a series of holes in your desired sizes vertically down the join between the two bars.

I gently clamped the two bars together with a "G" clamp to grip the ferrule in the appropriate size hole, mounted the whole assembly in a vice, heated the ferrule with a hot air stripper and pulled the cane towards me. It popped off with very little effort!
Thank you Sir :Hat: This would be my next suggestion after checking for a pin (s)

The tool can also be made by drilling an appropriately sized hole in a piece of wood (hardwood is best but pine can be used) then sawing through the middle of it to make the 2 halves of the puller. Shimming with card or sawing through removes just enough material to make the halves of the puller a snug fit on the ferrule.

NOTE: Be careful not to over tighten the halves or you can slightly crush the ferrule - you only need enough pressure to grip the ferrule.

I can't take the credit for this tool - it was in a book I read by Ray Goulds.

Cheers
Steve

Galician
Ruffe

Post by Galician »

Thank you all for your advice, it is greatly appreciated. I should have mentioned it was pinned but this has been removed. I do like the clamping idea and will try this. I'm pretty sure the real problem is the pinching in of the brass into the cane on two sides.
Again thank you all, you have given me much to try, I will let you know how I get on.
GALICIAN :Wink:

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

The ferrule pulling tool sounds like great idea so I will make myself one when the need arises.
Mark Davies

Return to “The Modern Arms Company Ltd Cane Rods”