Hi, New newbie

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Craig80

Hi, New newbie

Post by Craig80 »

Hi everyone,

I'm Craig and very excited to be apart of this forum. I'm new to the use of cane rods and haven't actually wet a line with one as yet. I have been a carbon user for my entire fishing life. I have always wanted a cane rod but could never afford some of the well known brands in a good usable condition, didn't know anything about repairing or refurbishing a rod so couldn't justify taking a chance on a fixer upper, or the costs and materials that would also be involved.
Unfortunately my father-in-law passed away almost a year ago after a long illness and just a couple of weeks ago my mother-in-law popped round and gave me his rods, a collapsible trout net and a couple old sweet tins of tackle, lures, spinners and a reel.
It was while I was trying to do a little research on the rods I happened to come across this forum and have spent some time reading through some fascinating threads. Though i still haven't managed to find the info on one particular rod. It's a Hardy's LRH No.1 which I believe to be a salmon spinning rod and it looks to be in pristine condition. I was told by my wife that her dad hadn't fished for around 40yrs so it's possible this rod may never have been used.
What i would like to know from you kind folk is what kind of coarse fishing this rod would be suitable for? Do I need to re-post in the traditional rods threads for info? I will post some pics when I figure out how to.

I look forward to hearing from you

Craig

Julian
Salmon

Re: Hi, New newbie

Post by Julian »

Welcome aboard Craig :Hat:
I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable members will answer your questions soon.
In the meantime there is some information on Hardy rods you can browse in posts in the traditional rods section of this forum.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Welcome Craig the rod is very popular with carp fishermen and ment to be a bit stiffer than a walker mark 4 I've actually Just brought one myself I'm a fan of the lrh rods
If you scroll through the hardy rod section you'll find some more info
Last edited by Bobthefloat on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Welcome to the forum :Hat:
There are few members who have that particular rod, quite a strong rod if I remember correctly suitable for stalking carp also a bit of pike fishing.
Probably worth putting the rod together and give it a waggle to make sure the cane hasn't dried out and made the ferrules loose. This normally presents as a knocking feel through the rod and you can also here it. This can sometimes happen if a rod is stored for a long time. Having said all that I have a 1930s Hardy pike rod in the same circumstances and its fine.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Welcome to the forum .... Nice rod to have :Thumb:

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

You've come to the right place :eyebrow:
niceroach

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Craig.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Craig80

Post by Craig80 »

Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome.
And thank you Harry H for the pointers, I'll give the rod a look over tomorrow. I'm looking forward to using this rod - hopefully this weekend - I don't want to take it out and hook into a large carp and have it damadged on it's first outing. I'm hoping it won't be too heavy a rod to use on the river for barbel and chub.

Craig

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome to the Forum, Sir.

Not a rod I have personal experience of, but I understand it's the 'lightest' action of the 3 Hardy LRH rods (the LRH No. 2 and LRH No. 3 being the others) ... so would be fine for chub, but may struggle with barbel ... especially the modern day beasts one reads of !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Welcome to the TFF, Craig?

Posting a picture of your rod is quite easy. Just select "Full Editor & Preview" and than the black square with the green dot.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”