Making an Aerial-Match

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Watermole+
Chub

Making an Aerial-Match

Post by Watermole+ »

Part 1. Research.

This is something I have had in mind for quite a while and which will hopefully be started in the New Year.

As I understand it, the original Allcock reel was apparently only made for a short period from 1939 being discontinued thereafter and the actual number of reels made that survive today seem to be much sought after, more likely because of it's scarcity value amongst collectors rather than practical design perfection; although having said that, it is a very good design indeed.

The purpose of this project is to totally scratch-build one, using such means that I already have-which is going to be a challenge-as a step by step, illustrated forum topic.
The greatest difficulty by far and away is going to be defining the precise measurements and sizes. Without an actual reel on the workbench to draw up, there could regrettably be a lot of "guesstimates" on many details but fortunately, there are some good photographs on the Internet from which to scale up and base guesses on.

I know that Chris Lythe has already made a tribute version-and hastily offer my most grateful thanks to the Forum member who so kindly offered to place his copy at my disposal, but I have no way of knowing if that is either just his (C.L.) own version, or indeed, a measured and full scale copy of the real thing-which is my own intention as far as the line drum and backplate are concerned, (although I have had a few thoughts about changing the ratchet knob to a rim lever check..)

The first step out of necessity has to be producing a proper working drawing with sizes and tolerances to work from.
The only definite size which I have-so far-is that the width between the line drum plates is 9/16". The catalogue gives the diameter at 4" but what that actually refers to is unclear. "Four inches" seems to be a very loose tolerance amongst some other reels so described which I have measured thus far. Though not vital, the actual diameters of both line drum plates and backplate are nevertheless important because everything else is relative to them.

This is where I need your help, if you can.
If anyone out there knows of anyone who knows anybody who both has one of these reels-and is able to accurately use measuring instruments such as as micrometers and Vernier calipers, I would dearly like to hear from them over the next three months, say, up to end of December.
I know that I have already asked about this, but am asking again, just in case somebody missed it...I live in hope, no matter how slight!

I would like to also say a very big "Thank You" to the two members who have been in touch with me, offering their treasured reels for measurement, but because of my own limitations, I am no longer able to travel such long distances to take advantage of their generosity, but thank you again anyway.

As soon as I have some sizes, the project begins.....

Regards to all, :Hat:

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Paul D

Re: Making an Aerial-Match

Post by Paul D »

A fascinating project Sir, and I for one can't wait to see the undoubtedly jaw dropping result. I can as you know use measuring equipment and if theres anyway I can help please let me know (if anyone in the southern county has such a reel and is prepared to allow measurements to be taken please get in touch). :Hat:

Pb845
Minnow

Post by Pb845 »

I second that - I can't wait to see the results as well. And that's a good idea Paul, to help the cause.

So,Watermole, I too can offer a drop-in location in Northampton if I could be of any help to you. Sort of measurement while you wait !!

But if they were only made for one year, they are going to be RARE.

Cheers - Will

Surrey Martin
Roach

Post by Surrey Martin »

Hi
As per my private message and your reply . If I get the reel back from Garry Mills shortly I will happily arrange for it to be measured by Paul or Nobby who are both local ish as I am in Surrey
Cheers
Martin

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Many thanks for your most kind replies, Paul, Will and Martin.

I will be in touch with you all soon..!

With kind regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

once again, the game's afoot! s'cuse lower case, .... I made a reasonable attempt at amputating my left hand today..... :Brickwall:

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

http://i58.tinypic.com/2jai0ly.jpg

i have this one and a mint one by the other bloke who made them, can't remember his name.

I could post one or both of them to you for measuring if that would help ( I would want them back though :) )
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Hello Robbi,
You are probably thinking of the Late Fred Crouch.
Thank you for your kind offer, but your reel is the later "Match Aerial", designed I believe, by Seb Coe's father.
The reel I am seeking is the earlier "Aerial-Match" reel of 1939, which is quite different.

Thank you again though,

wm+

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

no probs, sorry I couldn't help.

Ah yes Fred Crouch was the name :) Thank you
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Surrey Martin
Roach

Post by Surrey Martin »

Gentlemen. All we have to do is to persuade Garry to repair it ! So if anyone has any influence please use it .
Cheers all
Martin

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”