Re -joined

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
OldAngler
Perch

Re -joined

Post by OldAngler »

Hello TFF members,

I used to be a member but for various reasons could not contribute for a while so ceased to be a member. I have just re-joined.

In started coarse fishing in 1955 when I was 10 years old so I have personal experience of tackle and techniques from the late 50's, 60's and 70's. To quote Johnny Cash, "I was there when it happened, so I guess I ought to know." Seriously, if I can help younger members of the Forum by commenting on how things were in that era I shall be happy to do so. I do not claim to be an 'expert' in any field of tackle or angling methods but believe I have a reasonable all round, (if now dated), knowledge which I am happy to share.

My beliefs are that all anglers should be allowed to follow their sport in their own chosen way, so long as it is legal and does not adversely affect or cause annoyance to others,(including wildlife). My personal preference is to fish alone, in the quietest place I can find, using old tackle which is well maintained. I believe that old tackle should be used, not just admired. I own and regularly use eleven split cane rods, all of which I have built or refurbished myself. My favourite is a Richard Walker Mk IV Avon which I built in 1963 using blanks made by Ted Oliver. I use it very frequently, teamed with a Young's Rapidex which I have owned from new since 1958, or a Mitchell 300 which my wife bought for me in 1972. I make my own floats, mainly from goose or swan quills. They are not 'works of art' although I very much admire floats which are. Mine are very cheap and quick to make so I happily use them in difficult situations, knowing that if I lose a float it has cost me just a few pence.

I did a lot of rod building in my teens, including making my own split cane using a wooden triangular former, most of which I learned from Dick Walker's wonderful book 'Rod Building For Amateurs.' I still have one rod made from my 'own' cane and it is very dear to me. I came back to rod building and refurbishing when I retired from work and over a period of about four years built or renovated about 25 rods, all split cane or split cane with whole cane butts. I am currently making a light float rod for Grayling fishing.

Over the years I have lived in, and fished in, Lincolnshire, South London / Kent, Yorkshire, Wiltshire and now Hampshire.

My target fish, depending on the time of year, are Tench, Perch, Grayling and Chub.

Hope that helps to give you an idea of who and what I am.

Tight lines, oldangler

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Re -joined

Post by Mark »

Welcome back to the forum OldAngler.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Tom
Rudd

Post by Tom »

A very welcome!
Tom

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome home, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Welcome back to the TFF, OldAngler!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Welcome back sir

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Nice to see you back Rod. :Thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Muscavado
Grayling

Post by Muscavado »

Strewth! We were both born in the same year so, that must make me The Old Tangler :Chuckle:

Welcome home

John

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Welcome from Exeangler

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Post by Eddy Pools »

Hello OldAngler, welcome back to the TFF